2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Noise Between Bellhousing and Engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 11:06 AM
BClark_35
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noise Between Bellhousing and Engine

Hello all. It's me again asking about another noise. Fully rebuilt magnum 360. Has about 600 miles on it. Ever since swapping it I've heard this rattle type noise between the engine and trans. Seems louder on trans side but not sure. Only does it when the vehicle is warm, but that may just be because the idle is lower. Any ideas on what this sounds like? Louder on driver side for sure. It may be associated with what my ticking noise is that I've had too... I will be dropping the pan here in a few weeks. I've had a few people listen to the engine and they are not concerned. Oil pressure reads 35 hot idle and trans fluid is full. Might just be a nature of the beast sound but I wouldn't mind opinions. Thanks

https://youtube.com/shorts/SON6w6ojNU0?feature=share

Old 04-30-2022, 11:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

I hear some ticking in there, almost like lifter noise, but, wrong side of the engine for that...... Is that what you are hearing? (my hearing sucks. )

Old 04-30-2022, 11:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Maybe a plug wire arcing??

Old 04-30-2022, 11:26 AM
BClark_35
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I hear some ticking in there, almost like lifter noise, but, wrong side of the engine for that...... Is that what you are hearing? (my hearing sucks. )
I mean what I feel i hear is more of a rattle but that may also be lifter noise. Especially since i do have a tick when holding rpm under 2k on the driver side. Could be a rattle at idle that turns into a tick with rpm. How would that be the wrong side for that?

Old 04-30-2022, 12:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Lifter tick you generally hear on TOP of the motor. Down below, it is MUCH harder to hear.

Old 04-30-2022, 12:33 PM
BClark_35
Professional

Lifter tick you generally hear on TOP of the motor. Down below, it is MUCH harder to hear.
that's fair. I'm thinking this noisy is either in the trans or middle area of the engine (lifter bores???) I put my ear up the bottom of the oil pan and heard nothing bad. Maybe time to get my friends stethoscope back. My Jeep had a bad lifter noisy that came from the middle of the engine. Maybe that's what this is. I just hope it's not a dull piston slap. Cylinders were measured and honed by the machine shop. Standard pistons were used. No oil burning thus far but piston slap doesn't really cause that. Maybe just nature of the beast...

Old 04-30-2022, 03:05 PM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

maybe crank position sensor hitting the flywheel?

Old 04-30-2022, 03:18 PM
BClark_35
Professional

Originally Posted by true blue
maybe crank position sensor hitting the flywheel?
I thought it may be that too but the fact that it really only makes this noise when its warmed up makes me think it's something else. Either way here soon I'm gonna eliminate bellhousing bolts and all that great stuff when I drop the pan. Hopefully I can see something that's a quick fix. If not I'm gonna run it until something breaks. Or the noise gets louder.

Old 05-01-2022, 10:16 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Sounds like an exhaust leak to me.

The following 2 users liked this post by Moparite:
AtomicDog (05-01-2022), PR1AWRet (05-03-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 09:29 PM
BClark_35
Professional

Maybe a plug wire arcing??
Well tonight i changed the oil and started her up. Noise was still there. The noise never has seemed to be there with cool oil. Everything else on the truck was warmed up completely. So I'm thinking maybe I have an issue with the torque converter? Maybe that stupid check valve I've heard about isn't allowing the trans enough fluid at idle and making it rattle? Idk. Seems louder on the trans side. Maybe it is just a simple loose bolt that only rattles at idle. At this point I just gotta drop the damn oil pan and inspection cover

Quick Reply: Noise Between Bellhousing and Engine