2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Attempting to replace the shift seal

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 02:45 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

The issue with pulling that seal is that the selector shaft/valve body is in the way. With the valve body removed, removing the seal becomes pretty easy, as you can use a hefty flat head screwdriver from the top of the transmission to pop the selector shaft seal out of its bore.

Old 05-22-2022, 02:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Don't you need to remove the shaft to get the seal out in any event? Doesn't that operation have to happen inside the trans??

Old 05-23-2022, 12:50 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

There are folks removing the selector shaft seal without removing the valve body/selector shaft. Guessing that they don't want to remove the pan to deal with draining the fluid, unbolting the valve body and its associated mess.

Certainly, removing the transmission pan and valve body makes the selector shaft seal replacement job pretty easy.

Old 05-23-2022, 02:46 PM
Alex271
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did watch a few videos and was reading through my Haynes book on removing the valve body, but the main question there is if i pull the valve body, is there anything (springs or cables) that will have to be disconnected internally to do that task? I would hate to mess something up on my perfectly running transmission and end up paying a hefty sum of cash to get it running again all because of a $9 seal. I was going to just limp it down to my trans shop to have it done there but now started a fight with the shift linkage due to something ending up being misaligned somehow. I have no drive, reverse is where drive is, park is where reverse is and so on. Ill go back out in a few and try adjusting it some and see if its something simple or if all chaos broke loose under there. Worst case ill have my buddy come out with his truck and we will drag it down to the shop that way. Lot of options still on the table as of now so will see what happens.

Old 05-23-2022, 10:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Download the factory service manual for your truck from here. Go thru the section for valve body R&R. That will detail what you need to do, FAR superior to Haynes/Chiltons......

Old 05-31-2022, 02:55 PM
Alex271
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good, ill have a look into it. If i dont get any further progress with what its doing shes off to the shop tomorrow. Got it arranged with the mechanic but i do appreciate everyones help and advice on it. Some jobs im just not able to get at where im currently living and its all good. At least once its done and all good no more leaks for the foreseeable future

Quick Reply: Attempting to replace the shift seal