2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need some help with some ignition issues!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2022, 01:49 PM
Nshepherd1996
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
If it's only at start up then it could be the cam sensor. After the engine starts the cam sensor is not used.
ok I will look into that, now is the cam sensor separate from the distributor pickup coil or are they the same because I've seen both. Sorry I'm new to dodge so I'm still figuring it all out

Old 05-28-2022, 05:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Cam sensor and pickup coil are two names for the same part. It's hiding under the distributor cap.

Old 05-28-2022, 06:35 PM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Whilst I'm not here to shill for any scan tool company...THAT SAID...
I have 3, sometimes 4 vehicles to keep running on my own. My old beast ('96 Dodge pickup), no 'professional mechanics' seem to know HOW to work on tech that old. I have an '08 Mazda 3, n one of my sons has a 03 Mercury Sable, n I've saved us all sortsa time AND MONEY on diag n repair. I recently discovered that my 20 y.o. son, active duty Army, bought a used convertible '12 Mustang n was told he had to, basically, spend a fortune on his car to get it running correctly again (poor engine performance, no heat from HVAC n intermittent brake failure). He was home, on leave, last Christmas n we managed to fix everything for less than $200. Little to none of these problems woulda been fixable without a bi-directional scan tool. I think I made my money back on the scanner within about 6 months, now everything is gravy.
The 4 horsemen of the automotive apocalypse, that reside at the temple of the oracle of youtube...Scotty Kilmer, Scanner Danner, Pine Hollow Auto diag AND South Main auto are also indispensable tools of reconstruction.

Quick Reply: Need some help with some ignition issues!