2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 Magnum crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2022, 12:30 PM
KillerLemming
Professional
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 5.9 Magnum crank no start

Hello, I have a 2002 Ram 2500 with the 5.9 magnum, it will crank over but will not start. It wouldn't start up last night so i had to have it towed. I sprayed some starter fluid and it will run a little when I spray starter fluid in the intake, but as soon as i stop spraying the engine dies. Earlier that day it took more cranking over than usual to start it, and the idle dipped for about a second at a stoplight. I believe it could be a fuel pump but could it be a sensor or something else? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-28-2022, 02:23 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

If it runs on starting fluid the fuel pump is the prime suspect. Could be the fuel pump relay as well but that is easy to check. There's also a test port on the fuel rail.

Old 05-28-2022, 04:23 PM
KillerLemming
Professional

Originally Posted by DerTruck
If it runs on starting fluid the fuel pump is the prime suspect. Could be the fuel pump relay as well but that is easy to check. There's also a test port on the fuel rail.
Just opened the test port and there is absolutely no fuel in it. I also do not hear the fuel pump kick on like i usually do. The relays are all fine, so it has to be the fuel pump

Old 05-28-2022, 05:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Verify that you get power back to the pump for about 3 seconds at initial key on. If you do, then, yeah, dead pump.

Mine failed pretty much the same way. Truck drove fine. Parked at home, next morning when my wife needed the truck, no start. Replaced pump, starts and runs.

Old 05-28-2022, 06:37 PM
DerTruck
All Star

Before going through the arduous process of replacing the fuel pump make sure the pump is really the problem. Check fuse 3 (20A) in the PDC and pin 30 at the fuel pump relay to make sure you have power for the pump. Also fuse 9 inside which is switched ignition to the relay control side. You can also try to jump pin 30 to pin 87 in the relay socket and listen if the pump runs.

That's basically the long version of doing what HeyYou suggested

Old 05-28-2022, 06:56 PM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Don't forget that pesky ASD relay.

Old 05-28-2022, 07:13 PM
DerTruck
All Star

Originally Posted by true blue
Don't forget that pesky ASD relay.
The ASD relay kills power to injectors and coil but the engine runs on starting fluid so the ignition works.

Old 05-29-2022, 07:14 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

I replaced my pump before it had a chance to fail. When i did i took the pump motor apart and it barley had any brushes/commutator left.

Old 05-29-2022, 02:17 PM
KillerLemming
Professional

Originally Posted by DerTruck
Before going through the arduous process of replacing the fuel pump make sure the pump is really the problem. Check fuse 3 (20A) in the PDC and pin 30 at the fuel pump relay to make sure you have power for the pump. Also fuse 9 inside which is switched ignition to the relay control side. You can also try to jump pin 30 to pin 87 in the relay socket and listen if the pump runs.

That's basically the long version of doing what HeyYou suggested
I Just tried this. Unfortunately none of these worked. it is in fact the fuel pump

Quick Reply: 5.9 Magnum crank no start