2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No Bus but starts and drives 5 speed swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2022, 03:17 PM
Davidhall2011
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Bus but starts and drives 5 speed swap

Hey everyone, I hope I'm posting this in the right place! But anyways, long story short I put a 5 speed into my 2001 dodge ram 1500. After that was done, I started it, drove it about ten miles, got back to the shop, and started it probably 4 more times no problem. Then a "no bus error" happened and it wouldn't start. I've had this issue before and I eventually found it was a couple wires that had been pulled out. I fixed them and everything was fine. So, I searched and searched looking for something along those lines and I couldn't find anything. Feeling defeated, I thought why not put the computer from the donor truck in and wouldn't you know it it fired up! So, now about 10 second after being started the "no bus" comes on, but still runs, drives, and the gauges still work, (Been driving it a couple days now). My question is, has anybody ran into this problem? Could it be the auto gage cluster, or the wiring harness being auto, or is there anyway to chase the problem from the computer? There is a check engine light on but it won't read with no bus! I've also had a few friends do this swap and they used the auto computer no problem and just a check engine light for the couple sensors not plugged in so I'm at a lose. Thanks in advance!

Old 06-04-2022, 05:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

More like a failing sensor somewhere. Trouble is, there is a lot of 'em....

Did you also install a manual trans crank sensor? They ARE different....

Old 06-04-2022, 10:50 PM
Davidhall2011
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I did put the manual crank sensor in and I believe the only sensor in the transmission is the back up light sensor which is not hooked up because it had different clips but I don't think that would give me a no bus but I'm not sure

Old 06-05-2022, 09:02 AM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker
Received 67 Likes on 66 Posts

Have you verified all the fuses, both in the dash and under the hood, any connectors you touch in the process I would recheck to be fully latched and that no terminals came unseated

Old 06-05-2022, 09:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

O2 sensors are a common cause of this as well.

Quick Reply: No Bus but starts and drives 5 speed swap