2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck shifting funny

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 11:36 AM
ratpack1921
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck shifting funny

So a few days ago my shifter linkage came disconnected from the transmission, come to find out it needed a bushing. So yesterday I replaced the bushing and while I was underneath I noticed that the TV cable was disconnected from the transmission. I don't know if its been like that for a while or just happened but I reconnected it on the stud. Went for a drive with it and it shifted from 1 to 2 at normal rpm(around 2k) but it wouldn't shift from 2 to 3 until after 3k rpm. Every other gear it shifted normally, no hard shifting nothing. It also appeared to be stuck in second gear coming to a stop(I say that because normally when I let off the throttle it will drop to under 1k rpm but the rpm slowly went down as I slowed down like I was still in gear) but when I take off its back into 1st gear. I'm thinking that the TV cable needs to be adjusted but I was wondering if anyone else had this issue and fixed it? Truck is a 1998 Ram 1500. Transmission only has 34K on it, fluid doesn't smell burnt and the fluid level was good. Transmission also has a Transgo JR shift kit in it with a dual sealing aluminum accumulator piston in it.

Old 06-09-2022, 11:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Check the TV cable, and make sure it moves freely. Then, make sure it is adjusted properly. You can find the procedure in the service manual. Get yours here.

Old 06-09-2022, 11:42 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

My TV cable came loose after re-installing my rebuilt transmission and I encountered similar issues. I ended up replacing the TV cable, as the original TV cable would bind up periodically (likely due to rust and wear) and cause shifting issues. It would also pop loose from the connector on the transmission. Once I replaced and properly adjusted the TV cable, my shifting issues went away.

Quick Reply: Truck shifting funny