2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 46RE delayed 1st gear engagement after solenoid swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2022, 08:19 PM
Yukon.cornelius
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 99 46RE delayed 1st gear engagement after solenoid swap

I am working on my 1999 1500 4x4 5.9v8 144,000 miles. I had some erratic 3-4 shifting (not wanting to shift sometimes). No other issues. After studying up on the problem I decided to do the solenoid kit. Kit came with
One (1) Governor Pressure Solenoid (OEM Design)
One (1) Governor Pressure Sensor (Transducer) 56028196A
One (1) Output Speed Sensor (With O-Ring) 4800879
One (1) 3-4 Accumulator Spring (.126 Upgrade)
One (1) Transmission Filter
One (1) Pan Gasket (Duraprene)
One (1) Governor Solenoid Body Gasket
One (1) Lock-up Spring (Heavy Duty) Upgrade
One (1) Boost Valve Spring Retainer (Sonnax) Upgraded Unbreakable
One (1) Lock-up & Overdrive Solenoid with Harness
Fluid looked and smelled fine, not dark or burnt smelling. Found broken accumulator spring and replaced it. I did not swap out the lock up spring or boost spring retainer. ( I am currently in the process of doing that)
After changing all but those two items I put it back together and filled with fluid. Let it warm up, checked level on flat level surface in neutral. Backed out of the shop and tried to go up my inclined driveway. It backed out fine but in drive it just rolled back. A little throttle and it engaged (hard, but it was at increased throttle) tried a second time, same. Third time seemed normal. Drove it a few miles and returned to the same inclined spot and the same issue. Seems like neutral. Wont hold on an incline, rather, freewheels backwards then catches hrd with throttle. I had a cherokee with the same issue I never fixed.
today,
checked fluid- fine
Pulled pan and installed a plug in it
Removed and inspected installed parts.
Found nothing obvious
Starting to pull valve body to install last 2 parts.

Any suggestions as to the cause of this new problem would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-11-2022, 08:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

I would be looking at the governor pressure solenoid.... If it ain't the borq warner heavy duty feller, or an actual mopar part, put the old one back in. (clean it first.)

Old 06-11-2022, 09:29 PM
Yukon.cornelius

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I would be looking at the governor pressure solenoid.... If it ain't the borq warner heavy duty feller, or an actual mopar part, put the old one back in. (clean it first.)
thank you for your reply. It was borg warner and supposed to be the heavy duty. I am thinking it is bad.

Old 06-11-2022, 09:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Rare, but, not unheard of.

I think the drain plug is going to become your favorite mod. Have you adjusted the bands??

The following users liked this post:
Yukon.cornelius (06-11-2022)
Old 06-11-2022, 10:05 PM
Yukon.cornelius

I had not adjusted them before. I did just adjust the front band today. I will do the rear next.

I took the valve body down and the park rod came out with it before I could locate the E clip. Now I need to figure that out lol! The boost spring retainer looks fine and nothing looks obvious to my unexperieced eyes. Nothing broken or laying on it or hanging out of it.
maybe a continuity test of the coils to compare them to the old ones. Any other things to look for before putting the valve body back up? Tips on how to get the park rod back in?

I think I am like the unsupervised toddler who found the open gallon of paint. I might be making a bigger mess of this. That is how I learn sometimes.

Old 06-12-2022, 09:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Yukon.cornelius
I had not adjusted them before. I did just adjust the front band today. I will do the rear next.

I took the valve body down and the park rod came out with it before I could locate the E clip. Now I need to figure that out lol! The boost spring retainer looks fine and nothing looks obvious to my unexperieced eyes. Nothing broken or laying on it or hanging out of it.
maybe a continuity test of the coils to compare them to the old ones. Any other things to look for before putting the valve body back up? Tips on how to get the park rod back in?

I think I am like the unsupervised toddler who found the open gallon of paint. I might be making a bigger mess of this. That is how I learn sometimes.
Yer not alone in that......

Old 06-12-2022, 05:02 PM
Yukon.cornelius

Figured out the parking rod and with my beautiful wife's assistance, we got it back together. Lifting the rear wheels off the ground and rotating the rear tire while holding the rod blindly in place was the trick. A mere 30 seconds and done. Re-installed the valve body and pan, filled with fluid and all is well. I did however forget to tighten rear band. Another time...

I just wanted to update and say thanks for the help. I believe my actual problem was the solenoid may not have been fully seated and clicked in.?.? Now time to hook up the boat and go fishing.

AtomicDog (06-12-2022)
Old 06-12-2022, 06:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Have fun on the water.

Yukon.cornelius (06-12-2022)

Quick Reply: 99 46RE delayed 1st gear engagement after solenoid swap