2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help to buy radiator

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2022, 12:33 PM
skevin
Rookie
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2BIT. Thanks for the help. That seems to measure up.
the dealer build sheet had a part number and said a 2 row was In it .
All the numbers form the single row you posted for me all match up perfect 👍!!!

The following users liked this post:
2bit (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 10:30 AM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Glad I could help. Try to flush the engine, they seem like they rust internally and what doesn't get pushed in the radiator settles in the block. Probably back flush the heater core also. I drill a 1/16 or 1/8 inch hole through the flange of the thermostat so trapped air can work it's way out.

Old 06-23-2022, 04:44 PM
skevin
Rookie
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any particular orientation on drilled hole towards radiator or interior? Yes I flushed a couple times and it seems to still be rusty must be in the block or in the passages can’t seem to get it out that’s why I was going to try a new radiator. Any thoughts on a name brand for thermostat gates Stant or high flow any help thanks

Old 06-23-2022, 05:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Stant super stat. Skip the fail safe fellers. They suck.

If you have a hose handy, while the thermostat is out, pull the lower radiator hose, stick the garden hose into the thermostat hole, and flush the motor with running water.

Old 06-23-2022, 07:54 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

In addition to what's mention about flushing your cooling system, if you have time, pull the large freeze plugs off each side of the block and take a screwdriver to dig out & wash as much muck/debris that exists around the cylinders as you can. Replace the freeze plugs with deep cup brass 1-5/8" freeze plugs, along with a new radiator and a Stant Superstat 195 degree thermostat and your cooling system should work like new.

The following users liked this post:
2bit (06-27-2022)
Old 06-24-2022, 11:17 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

Apparently Motorad has acquired Stant so it's the beginning of the end....

Old 06-24-2022, 11:20 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith_L
Apparently Motorad has acquired Stant so it's the beginning of the end....
Let's hope they use Stant's technology to make a better thermostat than what they sell, however, they will likely do so and raise the prices...

Old 06-24-2022, 11:23 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 2bit
Glad I could help. Try to flush the engine, they seem like they rust internally and what doesn't get pushed in the radiator settles in the block. Probably back flush the heater core also. I drill a 1/16 or 1/8 inch hole through the flange of the thermostat so trapped air can work it's way out.
Ya know I just did this on a Murray (Motorad, ugh) and found that even drilling as much toward the center as possible the 1/8" hole was partially obscured when I set it in place on the intake. It should still work because it doesn't need much to let air pass through but wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

It was the "better" Murray/Motorad so I believe it has a larger vertical "bell", allowing less real estate in which to drill a hole so that may have explained my experience

Old 06-24-2022, 11:25 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Let's hope they use Stant's technology to make a better thermostat than what they sell, however, they will likely do so and raise the prices...
I chuckle at your optimism

They'll throw their garbage in Stant boxes and laugh all the way to the bank

Which leads me to.....who else manufactures quality thermostats I wonder? I wonder who OEM's are using?

Old 06-27-2022, 05:24 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Sorry , it's been a long time since I replaced my thermostat and I don't remember where I drilled it. I have good luck with Gates thermostats, water pumps, belts, and hoses. If your up for it, I agree with removing some freeze plugs and digging the sediment out. I found that out when I removed one to install a block heater.

Quick Reply: Need help to buy radiator