2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

another 47RE question

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 02:05 PM
moorefield
Amateur
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default another 47RE question

I have a 1999 2500 diesel automatic with 215k miles. For years i had shifting issues..but finally took the time to learn how to set the bands. While doing the rear band i changed the filter and solenoids. After this it shifted great....Well, fast forward a year later and for some reason it started shifting badly again.

Problem: it will not shift from 1-2 unless i let off the pedal. When i do this it shifts to 2nd...but when I go back on the gas, the transmission seems confused and revs hard....as if it's in neutral. If i let off the pedal again and slowly accelerate then it shifts smooth all the way to overdrive.

I checked the fluid level and re-set the front band. Also, replaced the speed sensor & replaced the throttle positions sensor (TPS), but no luck. My cruise control & tachometer work great. Before i head to the transmission shop ( money is tight ), I'd like to troubleshoot it further.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Old 07-28-2022, 02:58 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

Have you checked your TV cable to ensure that its adjusted correctly? When you changed the fluid to adjust the bands a while back, how did the fluid look (smell burnt, etc.) and was there much metal in the transmission pan?

Last edited by AtomicDog; 07-28-2022 at 03:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
moorefield (07-29-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 03:23 PM
moorefield
Amateur

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Have you checked your TV cable to ensure that its adjusted correctly? When you changed the fluid to adjust the bands a while back, how did the fluid look (smell burnt, etc.) and was there much metal in the transmission pan?
have not checked TV cable, but will search the board for 'how to'. Changed fluid looked fine with no burnt smell and no metal on the magnet or pan.

Old 07-28-2022, 09:03 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Mine did same thing, but it would hang up in 2nd gear let off gas and just touch pedal and it would shift….but yea my tv cable was out of wack but make sure to check return spring….go under truck on drivers side, right about pan level on tranny near bell housing you’ll see the rod the tv cable connects to….make sure spring is there, mine was gone…also have someone hit gas pedal wot (engine off) and watch the rod and make sure it retracts fully when they let off gas

The following 2 users liked this post by 95RAM360:
AtomicDog (07-29-2022), moorefield (07-29-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 01:31 PM
moorefield
Amateur

OK, i moved the TV cable in toward the front of the truck to create more slack...now the good news is the 1-2 shifts are about perfect in the 1500-600 rpms range. The bad part is now 2-3 takes too long and i sometimes need to release the pedal to get the shift. Similar to the 1-2 issue just fixed.

I may have moved the TV cable too far so i'm going to remove a little slack and hope that helps. Either way, you guys were right about TV cable needing adjustment. Thanks!!!

AtomicDog (07-29-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 02:18 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

My original TV cable had to be replaced. It had a tendency to bind up and cause shifting issues (even with the return spring at the transmission properly attached), likely due to rust inside the cable housing and age. After I replaced and adjusted the TV cable and now my transmission shifts as it should. It took some time for me to fully realize that the TV cable was not working properly.

Old 07-29-2022, 03:07 PM
moorefield
Amateur

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
My original TV cable had to be replaced. It had a tendency to bind up and cause shifting issues (even with the return spring at the transmission properly attached), likely due to rust inside the cable housing and age. After I replaced and adjusted the TV cable and now my transmission shifts as it should. It took some time for me to fully realize that the TV cable was not working properly.

This may be my issue...it is a 99 model. I live in the South so it doesn't see snow, but does have some rust here and there. I checked the return spring while doing my front band adjustment so i know that is in order. I'll keep playing with it and respond back so maybe this will help others in the future.

AtomicDog (07-29-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 04:11 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

Same here in central VA, however, since I'm not the prior owner, no telling where this truck has really been in its prior life. My truck did have a snow plow on it at one time in its life (I removed the snow plow frame under the truck after I purchased it), so salt and rust were likely factors in its life at some points.

Old 07-31-2022, 12:00 PM
moorefield
Amateur

So, I need to replace the TV cable, but having a hard time verifying for my truck. Does anyone know the proper part #?

Rock auto has two numbers: MOPAR 52107742AC {52107742AB)

When i enter my VIN or truck info, it says the part doesn't fit or cannot be verified.

Old 07-31-2022, 01:20 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Originally Posted by moorefield
So, I need to replace the TV cable, but having a hard time verifying for my truck. Does anyone know the proper part #?

Rock auto has two numbers: MOPAR 52107742AC {52107742AB)

When i enter my VIN or truck info, it says the part doesn't fit or cannot be verified.
You might want to call a Dodge dealer parts department or two in your local area. They can give you the price and part number over the phone, then you can decide to purchase from them or search further for the best deal online you can find (time-permitting, of course)..

Quick Reply: another 47RE question