2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need Help - Fuel Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 06:29 PM
Daktal
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Need Help - Fuel Pump?

Hey guys, long time reader, first time poster. I need to call upon the collective knowledge of the Dodge fanbase.

98 Ram 1500 Sport, Quad Cab 5.2L V8 (1B7HC13YXWJ105147)

The short version is: I want to buy a fuel pump, do you know the OEM part number so i can try to match a knock-off replacement?

The Long version:
Pretty sure I need to replace the fuel pump. What started this post was that I came here trying to find the OEM part number so i could make sure what I buy is going to fit. Then I went down the rabbit hole of stuff I don't know and now I don't know anything.

Sometimes I'd start it and it would immediately die. I'd have to give it a little throttle while starting to get it to fire up and then sometimes I'd have to keep just a little pressure on the throttle until it warmed up or it would die again. After it warmed up it'd start and run just fine the rest of the day. The other day I went out and it just wouldn't start. Cranks just fine, just wouldn't fire. I was in a hurry so i took the other car. Came home and tried the truck again, it fired right up so I figured I'd worry about it another day. Next day, fired right up, went to work. After my shift, it wouldn't start. Buddy of mine happened to show up, tells me to crank it while he crawls under it. He pounds on the gas tank while I turned the key and it fired right up. He crawls out and says "Replace your fuel pump, you'll be alright." I did a little internet searching of the symptoms and what he did and a fuel pump seemed like a reasonable solution.

So, i've done some shopping for a fuel pump. Working on a budget, knowing I'm going to get what I pay for, and have no problem using cheap parts I'll have to replace next year. I just need to get through winter. So, i can't just go to the advanced auto site and get something it says will fit. I have to go to amazon or some sketchy parts site. I don't want to get something that won't fit but there seems to be variables I didn't take into account. Like the tank size, which I don't know. I always figured it was a 25 gallon tank, 30 tops. But I might be wrong. And after reading through threads I am way over thinking this. What do you guys think? Fuel pump sound about right? Which pump do i need?

Old 08-21-2022, 08:34 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 123 Likes on 111 Posts

I would throw a fp gauge on it. When it doesn't start you should be seeing little to no pressure if your theory is correct.

Do you hear the pump prime when you turn the key?

Old 08-21-2022, 08:40 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

There's also a relay for the "fuel system" and if fuel pressure is non-existent I'd absolutely swap that with something else first.

You can find OEM part numbers at rockauto.com. The question appears to be 26/34gal tank or 35 gallon tank

Old 08-21-2022, 08:42 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Sounds like the screen could be clogged up, but 9/10 it’s fuel pump, since screens attached to it….

banging on tank and it’s starts is classic fuel pump issue. Just go on a parts website put in your year make and model and order a pump.

The following users liked this post:
Daktal (08-22-2022)
Old 08-21-2022, 09:19 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 303 Likes on 286 Posts

According to your VIN, the truck should have a 26 gallon fuel tank - you can look it up here - https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check...HC13YXWJ105147

The following 2 users liked this post by AtomicDog:
Daktal (08-22-2022), Keith_L (08-21-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 09:13 AM
Daktal

Originally Posted by Keith_L
I would throw a fp gauge on it. When it doesn't start you should be seeing little to no pressure if your theory is correct.

Do you hear the pump prime when you turn the key?
I don't have access to a fuel pressure gauge and I'm pretty sure I don't hear the pump priming when I turn the key on.

Old 08-22-2022, 09:15 AM
Daktal

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
According to your VIN, the truck should have a 26 gallon fuel tank - you can look it up here - https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check...HC13YXWJ105147
AHA! Thank you! And thank you for the link.

Old 08-22-2022, 10:22 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

You can rent a fp gauge at chain auto parts stores for free.

If you're not near an O'Reilly, AutoZone, Advance, etc, you can buy a fp gauge for $30 at HF
https://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-i...ter-58760.html

If you're not near a HF they'll ship it to you for an additional $6.99

You can also get a Bosch on Amazon for $26.50 delivered
https://smile.amazon.com/Bosch-FIX-7...s%2C263&sr=8-5

Here's a different kit with quick connect for various fittings at $25 and there's presently a 10% coupon
https://smile.amazon.com/faersi-Fuel...-1-spons&psc=1

Old 08-22-2022, 10:31 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 303 Likes on 286 Posts

Last thing you can try is to swap the fuel pump relay with another relay in the main panel under the hood to determine if the fuel pump relay me be at fault/weak. Otherwise, see if you can purchase a Delphi fuel pump so you only have to do the swap job once.

Old 08-22-2022, 11:01 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Last thing you can try is to swap the fuel pump relay with another relay in the main panel under the hood to determine if the fuel pump relay me be at fault/weak. Otherwise, see if you can purchase a Delphi fuel pump so you only have to do the swap job once.
Was Delphi OEM?

Quick Reply: Need Help - Fuel Pump?