2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

High Engine Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2022, 08:05 PM
Francis03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Engine Oil Pressure

I need some help diagnosing this problem I cam currently having with my 2001 5.9 Magnum. I just rebuilt the engine and put it in and it runs good, but I seem to have high oil pressure. I installed the motor in a heated shop where it is 60-70 degrees all the time. Oil pressure on startup until warm in the shop is almost to the top of the brackets. Once its warm, oil pressure is in the middle of the brackets. The problem is that I live in Utah and its cold as hell at the moment. When the truck sits outside overnight and I start it the next morning, the oil pressure is so high that it blows the oil filter o-ring out because the oil is cold and thick. Within 5 seconds I have lost at least a quart of oil. Oil is 10-30, the oil pump is new, but is a standard volume/pressure pump, the brand is EngineTech. Also just installed new oil pressure sensor because the old one started to come apart due to the oil pressure I'm assuming. This is also the third oil filter I have tried, which were all Mopar. One of the only conclusions that I can come to is that the pressure relief valve is stuck closed on the new pump not allowing the high pressure to dissipate. I also assume that the oil pressure will be high until the engine is broke in, but this seems excessive, and I would think that the relief valve would not let it get that high. I'm still in highschool and can't afford for a shop to look at it, just hoping that I don't change the oil pump again only for the problem to remain.

Old 12-22-2022, 08:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

If the relief valve was stuck closed, it would literally blow the filter apart. (don't ask how I know.....) That said, wonder if you got the wrong pump? They have been boxed wrong before.... If your truck is a 4x4, you can drop the pan without lifting the motor. If it's 2wd, I don't know..... Maybe. I would replace the pump though......

Also, there isn't two O-rings for the filter is there? I have seen one stick to the adapter, and when you put the new filter it, it will leak between them..... A lot.

Old 12-22-2022, 08:19 PM
Francis03

Sounds like you've had some experiences before with blowing filters apart. There's not two o-rings, I've also had the oil filter plate off twice to reseal it because that is where the oil originally blew out of.

Old 12-22-2022, 10:21 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts
Lightbulb

As mentioned, swap out that oil pump for a Melling, if you can find one at a reasonable price. Also, be sure to keep an eye on the pressure sensor. When those fail/leak, they can create a major pressurized oil leak that can cause a motor to fail. Same with the oil filter.

Old 12-23-2022, 09:26 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

I found an article about "Enginetech", In it it says that their parts are made in Brazil.

"Enginetech began making improvements to their product offering in 1993. Their goal was to become the “One-Stop Shop” for rebuilders around the globe."

No where does it say anything about quality of their parts. It should be more like the last resort for engine builders!
https://enginetech.com/about-us/

The following users liked this post:
AtomicDog (12-23-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 09:57 PM
dryerman

try puting manual oil gadge on it so you can see proper reading

Quick Reply: High Engine Oil Pressure