2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Finding the right water pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2022, 12:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,292 Likes on 3,039 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Yes, Pep Boys no longer sells auto parts, at least in central VA. Once Carl Ichan bought them out, his goal was to change them all into auto service centers and to get out of the auto parts business.
That seems kinda odd.... If you want to do service, also being a parts distributor (since you already are.....) makes a twisted sort of sense.... Doesn't it???

Old 12-25-2022, 02:57 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 322 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by HeyYou
That seems kinda odd.... If you want to do service, also being a parts distributor (since you already are.....) makes a twisted sort of sense.... Doesn't it???
Weird things happen after leveraged buyouts... They may have maintained their parts distributorship. If they did, they only sell to shops. I know their stores here no longer have parts on the floor for normal consumers... I will have to visit and check further.

Old 12-25-2022, 05:38 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 125 Likes on 113 Posts

I heard some of them were being taken over by 1A Auto on the parts side.

Old 12-25-2022, 09:41 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 585 Likes on 530 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Weird things happen after leveraged buyouts... They may have maintained their parts distributorship. If they did, they only sell to shops. I know their stores here no longer have parts on the floor for normal consumers... I will have to visit and check further.

The one here in S.W. Indiana is service only. I was never really impressed with them. Neither the parts or the installation. I go to various parts outlets but usually AutoZone because of their bonus program.

Old 12-26-2022, 08:48 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 371 Likes on 349 Posts

You could get some deals from them time to time. I was on their mailing list and you got discounts. After they decided to go to service only and the hassle i had with them i deleted the account and refuse to ever go there for anything ever again. I could have started some crap because in red neon outside the building it says "auto parts". As far as I'm concerned i hope they go belly up.

Old 12-26-2022, 11:42 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by Moparite
You could get some deals from them time to time. I was on their mailing list and you got discounts. After they decided to go to service only and the hassle i had with them i deleted the account and refuse to ever go there for anything ever again. I could have started some crap because in red neon outside the building it says "auto parts". As far as I'm concerned i hope they go belly up.

Probably someone just out of College with no experience came up with the idea. We had trouble where I used to work with people like that. I got to where I would just ignore the more stupid ideas. These were guys that were there for 6 months. I was there for 45 years when I retired. Who do you think Corporate listened to?

Old 12-26-2022, 04:25 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 322 Likes on 304 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Moparite
I shopped there from time to time as well and was fond of the many quality parts they used to sell as well as the parts deals I'd run across. Unfortunately, everything changes and not always for the better.

Old 12-29-2022, 09:10 AM
Tillvalhalla1488
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I got water pump on the list, I plan on doing the thermostat, the belt, I was told I should do a timing set I know the timing chain I should probably do but what's the set is that different gaskets ? I just want to do what I have to on the front of this motor so I don't gotta dig back into it. If I got the water pump off doing the timing what else should I replace at 150k trucks a 94 so I'd like to replace what I can now cuz this is probably the last facelift In her life due to frame rot, but I'm keeping the motor for my other 5.9. also she's developing a tick.. and it's a weird tick it only happens when I put it in park.. on start up it don't happen right away when its cold well not always but about 10 seconds into it its a steady tick sounds like it's coming from the passenger side or underneath the front of the motor. When I shift it into park it's ticking. If I step on the gas in park the ticking stops till I let off the gas when I shift into drive or reverse it stops. I thought maybe something to do with the idle tensioner or pully ? Because it's only happening when it's sitting idle in park but then again not sure. Any advice guys ?

Old 12-29-2022, 12:53 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Tillvalhalla1488
Ok so I got water pump on the list, I plan on doing the thermostat, the belt, I was told I should do a timing set I know the timing chain I should probably do but what's the set is that different gaskets ? I just want to do what I have to on the front of this motor so I don't gotta dig back into it. If I got the water pump off doing the timing what else should I replace at 150k trucks a 94 so I'd like to replace what I can now cuz this is probably the last facelift In her life due to frame rot, but I'm keeping the motor for my other 5.9. also she's developing a tick.. and it's a weird tick it only happens when I put it in park.. on start up it don't happen right away when its cold well not always but about 10 seconds into it its a steady tick sounds like it's coming from the passenger side or underneath the front of the motor. When I shift it into park it's ticking. If I step on the gas in park the ticking stops till I let off the gas when I shift into drive or reverse it stops. I thought maybe something to do with the idle tensioner or pully ? Because it's only happening when it's sitting idle in park but then again not sure. Any advice guys ?
Maybe a lifter? Take the belt off and see if it goes away

Old 12-29-2022, 08:32 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by Tillvalhalla1488

While you CAN replace just the timing chain, the set is both sprockets in addition to the chain. You're in there already so why not? Plus a new gear will be tight on the chain. The old gears will let the chain wobble and not last very long. The gaskets are the same. I personally would drop the oil pan and slap a new oil pump in there with high volume, NOT the high pressure. This will compensate for worn bearings and what ever is lost internally, will be compensated for. I'm not sure how hard to an is to drop on these. Some I've done were done easy, and others required the engine to be lifted.

Now, you mentioned pulling it later when the frame fails on this truck. When you do that, replace all the expansion plugs. When you let the antifreeze get old, it loses it's anti-corrosion properties. It won't ever freeze, but after 5 years at most, the dis-similar metals will start to corrode through electrolysis. I refreshed a 318 with 97,000 miles and dropped it into a '84 W150 and that truck ran another 120,000 miles before the tin worms got to it.

Quick Reply: Finding the right water pump