2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4th Gen steering box?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2023 | 11:37 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

I'm not saying that its an issue - just something to be aware of. For example, I had to purchase another steering stabilizer that was made for the Borgeson box that sit out further on the frame than the stock steering box. Should be able to adjust the drag link length with the tie rod ends on each side at the sleeves.

Old 01-10-2023 | 09:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Keith_L
I don't see that as a problem except I don't know at what point a shorter drag link starts to cause bump steer.

Another thread at mopar1973man claims the Dodge boxes 2003 and later are Ford....which is just kinda amusing because I've long wondered if a Ford box could be made to fit the 2nd Gens.

I wish I could have numerous boxes in front of me to find the best candidate between bolt pattern, spline counts, hydraulic line threads etc etc
Would the local junkyard have some layin' about you could look at/measure?

Old 01-10-2023 | 11:02 AM
Keith_L
|
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Would the local junkyard have some layin' about you could look at/measure?
Great minds think alike....I was kinda poking around last night. Still, having difficulty finding anything affordably. I'd love to find a 4th Gen "core".....merely for mock-up purposes. I don't need it to work if it's cheap enough. I'd also love to grab all or part of the steering shaft to see about adapting the square input to a 2nd Gen shaft....as I understand it Borgeson used to offer such a thing but it's now entered the realm of urban legend

Old 01-10-2023 | 11:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I always like the shafts that had u-joints at both ends, no rag joint. MUCH better steering feel.

Old 01-10-2023 | 11:22 AM
Keith_L
|
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I always like the shafts that had u-joints at both ends, no rag joint. MUCH better steering feel.
Poking around Borgeson's site by year/application/model....they apparently no longer offer ANYTHING for 2nd Gen Rams.....which AtomicDog already told me!

Geno's Garage still lists both Borgeson's boxes and shafts, so apparently they didn't get the memo

Old 01-10-2023 | 12:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Keith_L
Poking around Borgeson's site by year/application/model....they apparently no longer offer ANYTHING for 2nd Gen Rams.....which AtomicDog already told me!

Geno's Garage still lists both Borgeson's boxes and shafts, so apparently they didn't get the memo
They may still have some inventory......

Considering it's been more than 20 years since the last second gen rolled off the assembly line, I am not really surprised that parts are getting scarce. Unfortunate, but, that's the way of the world.

Old 01-10-2023 | 12:24 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

Borgeson's replacement steering gearboxes for the 2nd gen Rams certainly weren't perfect. I believe they had numerous claims regarding their quality. As such and due to the age of the vehicle and overall demand, they seemed to have dropped supporting it.

Old 01-10-2023 | 12:38 PM
Keith_L
|
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Borgeson's replacement steering gearboxes for the 2nd gen Rams certainly weren't perfect. I believe they had numerous claims regarding their quality. As such and due to the age of the vehicle and overall demand, they seemed to have dropped supporting it.
Allegedly they were having difficulty getting cores to rebuild. I understand not wanting to deal with the boxes but I would hope they'd keep offering the shafts as those were built new (I thought). But I suppose they may not have been selling enough of them to be worth it

Old 01-10-2023 | 12:50 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

Cores to rebuild? That's strange, as Borgeson's steering box is not solely based on a stock core. The steering box housing is physically larger and sits out further on the frame by at least 1/4". As for their steering shafts, they are very nicely made and I'm really sad that they don't continue making them.

You can still purchase a quality steering shaft for 2nd gen trucks - seems as though Flaming River still makes them - it's pricey, but nice! - https://www.flamingriver.com/steerin...sid=sfkbYjNldY

Flaming River still appears to supply custom steering shafts or just the joints if you want to make up your own. It wouldn't shock me to find out that Flaming River may have made the steering shafts that Borgeson sold a while back.

Last edited by AtomicDog; 01-10-2023 at 01:35 PM.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen steering box?