2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46re valve body re build need help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 07:57 AM
skevin
Rookie
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 46re valve body re build need help please

I am rebuilding valve body and turned this over and didnt notice these check *****

I know the 7 on other half good.

this one here says on some models.
I have every manual there is and can’t figure it out

number 9 and circled I’m image. If it wasn’t ther does it hurt to add if I have another check ball from kit .

Old 04-11-2023, 09:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

How many holes in your spacer?

Old 04-11-2023, 12:18 PM
PR1AWRet
Veteran
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

There are new check ***** in the Zip Kit.

10. Replace Checkballs a. Install the 3/16" checkball as shown (Figure 9). b. On other side of the channel plate, install two 1/4" checkballs as shown (Figure 10). c. Install six 1/4" checkballs and one 11/32" checkball in the lower valve body locations (Figure 11). NOTE: Forward clutch failure will occur if the ball seat for the TV ball in the spacer plate leaks

As for the 3 shims, I used 1 and I get some firm shifts nothing to snap the head back. It is good for everyday driving. If your young put 3 in.

Last edited by PR1AWRet; 04-11-2023 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-11-2023, 01:23 PM
skevin
Rookie

Thanks guys!!!! Awesome.

hey you. Now that you asked how many holes I understand the verbiage I’m the manual better.
2 holes means use check ball
1 hole mean no check ball.

Unfortunately I will have to tear apart to know that answer . Oh well will be alot faster this time .

I have a huge delay in reverse and I think I missed this ball!

Live and learn. Thanks for the help
i Didn’t add any spacers. Now I see what you did might add one since I’m going back in

The following users liked this post:
PR1AWRet (04-11-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 10:17 PM
Moonpie
Rookie
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This is all Greek to me, but I get the feeling I'll be coming back to this thread in the future.

Old 04-14-2023, 10:45 AM
skevin
Rookie

Hopefully when it stops being Greek to you .
then you can help me more and it’s me working on it now lol!!

Old 04-15-2023, 08:03 AM
skevin
Rookie

Ok, so things seem to be getting better.
I don’t want to delete the converter drain back valve/ check valve but would it affect driving if dirty or clogged. Truck sat for awhile.

I know what it does when it sits but does it do anything when driving.

is it worth it to put a new one on? Aside from the money portion

Old 04-15-2023, 09:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Actually, you are better off without it. It tends to clog, and restrict flow to the trans cooler. Shortly thereafter, your trans burns up. NOT having it will delay engagement a few seconds after the truck sits for several hours. If you also do the mod that allows the torque converter to charge in Park, you won't even notice the delay.

Old 04-15-2023, 12:16 PM
PR1AWRet
Veteran
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Actually, you are better off without it. It tends to clog, and restrict flow to the trans cooler. Shortly thereafter, your trans burns up. NOT having it will delay engagement a few seconds after the truck sits for several hours. If you also do the mod that allows the torque converter to charge in Park, you won't even notice the delay.
And you can check your transmission fluid in park. When I rebuilt mine I deleted it.

Old 05-10-2023, 06:04 AM
usmc123456789
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans check valve delete

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Hi, I was going to start a new thread on this but since you referenced the trans check valve I had a question about it after reading this thread-

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ve-delete.html

I want to take the simplest option and drill out the check ball and blow out the hose with air. I have a quick disconnect tool from Harbor Freight and hope that will do the job, however I'm concerned about the rust in the photo where the hose is connected to the radiator. Someone in the older thread said they broke it off when attempting to disconnect. Any tips on how to prevent this from happening or should I just have a replacement ready in case it breaks off?

Trans check valve

Quick Reply: 46re valve body re build need help please