2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Torque converter problems (maybe)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2023, 11:58 AM
PR1AWRet
Veteran
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by KameronG11
I plan on doing this in just a bit, if it does still shift gears after I unplug the connector, what else do you recommend I do other than installing that kit?
Adjust the bands while the pan is off and a new filter.

Old 05-03-2023, 01:51 PM
KameronG11
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PR1AWRet
Adjust the bands while the pan is off and a new filter.
I unplugged the connector and it shifted through the gears but I think it's not going into 2nd or it's missing it. It will be let me shift it from 3rd down to 2nd but I can't got from 1st to 2nd (but I'm pretty sure I can with the connector plugged in) or it might be starting it 2nd and thats why it won't go from 1 to 2 but will from 3 to "2". Other than that once It got up to speed it drove good

Old 05-03-2023, 02:09 PM
KameronG11
Rookie

I read that the shift cable being out of line could have something to do with it. Mine has been out of line since I bought the truck. When it's in reverse, the orange indicator or whatever lines up with park

Old 05-03-2023, 06:41 PM
Sirriggs
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

almost like a tornado siren with a lower pitch, that's the only thing I can I think of lol
I was curious to the sound because mine sounds like whistle in the wind but it's not loud and doesn't seem to making any issues at the moment. I just completed a full rebuild here so hearing this strange sounds does concern me. Apply brakes, stops for the moment. Shifted in neutral does stop it sometimes. Contacted the guy on eBay that I bought my converter from to see if maybe he could give me some advice ideas but his only response is sending a replacement. The sound is very hard to describe. That I fully agree with. If you find anything , please let me know. Thank You.

Old 05-03-2023, 06:48 PM
KameronG11
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sirriggs
I was curious to the sound because mine sounds like whistle in the wind but it's not loud and doesn't seem to making any issues at the moment. I just completed a full rebuild here so hearing this strange sounds does concern me. Apply brakes, stops for the moment. Shifted in neutral does stop it sometimes. Contacted the guy on eBay that I bought my converter from to see if maybe he could give me some advice ideas but his only response is sending a replacement. The sound is very hard to describe. That I fully agree with. If you find anything , please let me know. Thank You.
will do. Wish I could help, but I don't know as much as these other people on here. I'm just a guy trying to get my truck running and driving right lol. But good luck.

Old 05-03-2023, 09:33 PM
Sirriggs
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

will do. Wish I could help, but I don't know as much as these other people on here. I'm just a guy trying to get my truck running and driving right lol. But good luck.
Oh. I agree. They helped me a lot on this rebuild as well as a step by step you tube video on rebuilding the 46re transmission. It's been a learning process and doing your first one means your going to have situations were you have to ask.

Old 05-04-2023, 01:23 PM
PR1AWRet
Veteran

I unplugged the connector and it shifted through the gears but I think it's not going into 2nd or it's missing it. It will be let me shift it from 3rd down to 2nd but I can't got from 1st to 2nd (but I'm pretty sure I can with the connector plugged in) or it might be starting it 2nd and thats why it won't go from 1 to 2 but will from 3 to "2". Other than that once It got up to speed it drove good
Sounds like a rebuild, your going into limp mode. It does it so the transmission doesn't get damaged worse. It goes into limp mode for the engine also but that's running good and the engine light is off.

Old 05-05-2023, 08:45 AM
KameronG11
Rookie

Originally Posted by PR1AWRet
Sounds like a rebuild, your going into limp mode. It does it so the transmission doesn't get damaged worse. It goes into limp mode for the engine also but that's running good and the engine light is off.
I Don't think the check engine light works anymore but the only codes I had the last I checked was the 02 sensor because I don't have a cat anymore, vehicle speed sensor, which I changed and still doesn't work, and cruise control. But I'm curious what makes it go into limp mode in the first place? I changed the trans fluid yesterday and there was a normal amount of metal on the magnet but the fluid was a real dark brown.

Old 05-05-2023, 01:13 PM
PR1AWRet
Veteran

I Don't think the check engine light works anymore but the only codes I had the last I checked was the 02 sensor because I don't have a cat anymore, vehicle speed sensor, which I changed and still doesn't work, and cruise control. But I'm curious what makes it go into limp mode in the first place? I changed the trans fluid yesterday and there was a normal amount of metal on the magnet but the fluid was a real dark brown.
Limp mode is a safety measure that prevents the truck from being driven if the computer detects a fault in the transmission. Engine speed will be reduced and the air conditioning or radio can be disabled. To get out of limp mode, place your vehicle in park. Cycle the key in the ignition to the "on" and "off" positions three times without firing the engine. Try driving after reset to see if out of limp mode.

With the oil being dark brown your clutches (frictions and steels) are probably burnt.

Old 05-06-2023, 07:59 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 365 Likes on 343 Posts

Limp mode is where the pcm substitutes actually readings from a defective sensor to keep it running mainly for the engine. The pcm MUST have the speed to shift the transmission! Dark brown fluid is not good either(dirty/burnt) witch can clog the filter. Clogged filter = pump struggles to gain pressure= noise.
vehicle speed sensor, which I changed and still doesn't work,

Quick Reply: Torque converter problems (maybe)