2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil pump Prime?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 12:58 AM
BrendonM
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil pump Prime?

2001 ram 1500 5.2L

If I were to replace the oil pump, how would I prime it on this engine?

Old 05-09-2023, 01:18 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 341 Likes on 322 Posts
Lightbulb

With the distributor removed from the engine (assuming you have the new oil pump installed and the oil filter & oil pan back on full of oil), this tool can be inserted and turned with a drill to prime the engine with oil by turning the oil pump - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-901013

This tool works on a variety of Mopar engines (small block magnum & LA, plus big blocks)

Last edited by AtomicDog; 05-09-2023 at 01:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dodgetruck2 (05-09-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 09:14 AM
BrendonM
Professional

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
With the distributor removed from the engine (assuming you have the new oil pump installed and the oil filter & oil pan back on full of oil), this tool can be inserted and turned with a drill to prime the engine with oil by turning the oil pump - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-901013

This tool works on a variety of Mopar engines (small block magnum & LA, plus big blocks)

can it be done without removing the distributor? Like just installing it wet, and turning it over a few times. I think I’ve seen a thread about it somewhere I don’t remember

Old 05-09-2023, 10:15 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

When I replaced the pump on my 96, the instructions just told me to fill the pump with oil, and install it...... (pour it in the top, which is the output from the pump.)

BrendonM (05-09-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 11:45 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by BrendonM
can it be done without removing the distributor? Like just installing it wet, and turning it over a few times. I think I’ve seen a thread about it somewhere I don’t remember

If it's a fresh rebuilt, you want to prime on the block. However, you are using the same engine with an oil film on the internal surfaces. I trust you are putting a high VOLUME pump and not a high PRESSURE pump. Fill it as best you can then install it. Once its in and the oil pan is filled and you're ready to drive it, disconnect the ignition and crank the engine with the starter until either you have oil pressure on the gauge or the oil light goes out.

The following 2 users liked this post by ol' grouch:
AtomicDog (05-09-2023), BrendonM (05-09-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 09:57 PM
BrendonM
Professional

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
If it's a fresh rebuilt, you want to prime on the block. However, you are using the same engine with an oil film on the internal surfaces. I trust you are putting a high VOLUME pump and not a high PRESSURE pump. Fill it as best you can then install it. Once its in and the oil pan is filled and you're ready to drive it, disconnect the ignition and crank the engine with the starter until either you have oil pressure on the gauge or the oil light goes out.

I have a melling oil pump. Regular one to just replace oem. Need to do pan gasket and it seems my rear main is leaking. I also have a new Pressure sending unit too. Seems to be super wet around that area behind my manifold. Maybe the rear main is just oil leaking down from the sensor but I’m not sure. Anyway it’s a regular pump for oem. Was going to just replace it while I was up under there. I plan on building the truck so I thought why not.

Old 05-09-2023, 10:04 PM
BrendonM
Professional

I have a melling oil pump. Regular one to just replace oem. Need to do pan gasket and it seems my rear main is leaking. I also have a new Pressure sending unit too. Seems to be super wet around that area behind my manifold. Maybe the rear main is just oil leaking down from the sensor but I’m not sure. Anyway it’s a regular pump for oem. Was going to just replace it while I was up under there. I plan on building the truck so I thought why not.

Old 05-10-2023, 11:57 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Regular pressure is fine. I go with high volume to compensate for worn internal tolerances. The last engine I dropped in as a replacement had 98,000 miles or so. I also slapped a new timing chain set and even replaced the bronze bushing in the block the distributor went through. A friend at a dealer loaned me the installation tool for that. The engine ran another 145,000 miles or so until the frame on the truck failed for the third time and I finally sold it for parts. I sold it to a welder who rebuilt the frame again and as far as I know, "Betty" is still going.

BrendonM (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 02:05 AM
BrendonM
Professional

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Regular pressure is fine. I go with high volume to compensate for worn internal tolerances. The last engine I dropped in as a replacement had 98,000 miles or so. I also slapped a new timing chain set and even replaced the bronze bushing in the block the distributor went through. A friend at a dealer loaned me the installation tool for that. The engine ran another 145,000 miles or so until the frame on the truck failed for the third time and I finally sold it for parts. I sold it to a welder who rebuilt the frame again and as far as I know, "Betty" is still going.

alright. Thank you. I’m not 100% sure if I should make a new post about this but randomly today my truck started acting extremely weird. I’m at work and I’m going on my lunch break. When I started it, super loud knock for a good 1-2 maybe 3 seconds. Went away. As I’m driving, I’m pressing the gas down some on and off and I hear a loud click or bang towards the right side of the truck? Maybe directly under my seat I cannot tell. Not only that, when I turn it off. There’s a very loud clicking sound coming from where the starter is, or inside the oil pan. I have video footage of both things occurring. I do not have video of the knocking on start up. I will post to YouTube unlisted and link it, I have no idea what it could be and it just started happening like not even 2 hours ago.

edit: it also is hesitating a bunch. Takes more throttle to get going now. Super random

Old 05-12-2023, 02:13 AM
BrendonM
Professional

Alright, the first clip is when driving and the 2nd is after turn off. It’s not the cool down clicking you usually hear.

https://youtube.com/shorts/j64u_P3Kv60?feature=share

I have absolutely NO idea what this is. I pray it’s not super bad.

Quick Reply: Oil pump Prime?