2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weird on and off metal scraping noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2023, 11:36 AM
Sirriggs
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Weird on and off metal scraping noise

Yeah, I hate to do another active thread but I have been dealing with this on and off noise that isn't consistent enough to locate. I mainly hear this what sound like a think metal scraping noise that seems to stop applying the brakes but not every-time. This noise just comes out of no where but disappears just as fast. Meaning I can be driving it here and there with no problems but get home and drive into the drive way then you hear this horrible metal scraping sound like the dust plate is scraping. Stop then move forward you hear it or it's gone. I have jacked the truck up and turns the wheels both fast and slow but nothing. It sounds like it's in the front area. It can happen once and sometimes a few time but then it may got for months and not make a peep. It's hard to catch it and record it since it comes and go. I have had it scraping , pull out the phone to record but it stops because I braked to get the phone ready. Has anyone ever dealt with such a weird noise like this? Hasn't seem to effect anything other then my nerves and ears. lol

Old 05-20-2023, 11:51 AM
aleekat
Veteran
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Maybe a rock stuck between dust shield & rotor?

The following users liked this post:
Keith_L (05-20-2023)
Old 05-20-2023, 12:59 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 125 Likes on 113 Posts

Dust shield also my suspicion. Next time you have the front end apart, scrap 'em

Old 05-20-2023, 02:24 PM
Sirriggs
Captain

I would think anything being stuck in there would be a constant sound but this is erratic issue that doesn't make any sense or easy locate to inspect. I have pulled it apart in the past with no clue to what the issue is? I even changed the bearings to make sure that wasn't the problem and for a good while I didn't hear anything then the mysterious gremlin showed up. It just a odd metal to metal scraping sound. The dust shields aren't loose or bent. They are not even close and I replaced both disc when I did a full on new everything front and back to brakes from disc and drums, pads, calipers and wheel cylinders. It's just crazy not finding this noise source.

Old 05-20-2023, 03:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Well, I suspect it is definitely something in the brakes from your description. The only thing I can think of is indeed the dust shields, or maybe the wear sensors? If you installed the pads backwards, the wear sensor may have gotten bent..... Yes, I know, inboard and outboard pads are pretty easy to differentiate, but, for the pad with the wear sensor, left/right does make a difference.

Old 05-20-2023, 05:15 PM
Sirriggs
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Well, I suspect it is definitely something in the brakes from your description. The only thing I can think of is indeed the dust shields, or maybe the wear sensors? If you installed the pads backwards, the wear sensor may have gotten bent..... Yes, I know, inboard and outboard pads are pretty easy to differentiate, but, for the pad with the wear sensor, left/right does make a difference.
I will go back in there and double check shield. As to the brakes. They don't have the metal clip you speak of. ( The brake wear warning). Thanks

Old 05-20-2023, 06:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Did you happen to use any variety of anti-squeal on the brakes?? I like the spray on stuff, Disc Brake Quiet. It's a rattle can, and will do several brake jobs. (gets applied to the bad backing plate.... works great.)

Old 05-20-2023, 07:31 PM
Sirriggs
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Did you happen to use any variety of anti-squeal on the brakes?? I like the spray on stuff, Disc Brake Quiet. It's a rattle can, and will do several brake jobs. (gets applied to the bad backing plate.... works great.)
I used a anti grease type but never seen a spray version here. I'm going to look for that. The sound is so thin sound like a back plate would make. It doesn't seem to affect anything driving wise. I'm going to get up early and pull both sides again and get in there hopefully finding it. It's just weird to be intermittent. Something has to be moving to allow it to make that sound but what it is the mystery question. lol. I wonder if maybe one of those clips for the pads moves out of place here and there since braking does affect it? I just thought of that. I could put something like a grease or something that would hold it in place but not permanent. They shouldn't since they are cupped but if slack is there and it pops up some, that would allow some movent. I will look into this and let you know. Thanks

Quick Reply: Weird on and off metal scraping noise