2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.2 heads/ parts on 5.9l block?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2023, 07:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Shorties aren't a bad idea. Long tubes would be better, but, more expensive to get the exhaust complete. Going with shorties, and a stock y-pipe, which *should* include the cat, pretty sure it has a 3 inch outlet... just run a single three inch pipe to your muffler, (however loud you want....) and then you can do dual outlets, or a single, whatever trips your trigger. The single 3" will flow better than 2" duals, and be cheaper. 2.5 inch duals would be nice, just depends on how much ya wanna spend. Larger diameter pipe also gives a deeper tone.

As for the cam, gotta decide which intake ya wanna go with. Getting something that will rev to 6K RPM and using the kegger intake would be a serious waste.

Old 05-30-2023, 08:09 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 320 Likes on 302 Posts
Originally Posted by Zedustus
thank you, I didn't realize that was a carb intake, which is quite a popular mod from what I've gathered. does anybody have any specific recommendations for good cams that improve torque/ power?
Lots of folks use the 5.9 magnum engine (since it has a hydraulic roller cam stock) in vintage cars and go with a new intake & carb instead of fuel injection.

As for camshaft selection, it really comes down to what you truly want performance-wise out of your motor and how much money you want to spend.

Old 05-30-2023, 08:42 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 320 Likes on 302 Posts
Originally Posted by Zedustus
Also definitely looking to put shortys/ maybe a whole exhaust on it, right now its cut after the cat, might find a high flow to put on and make a pipe from there... any thoughts or suggestions there?
I run JBA ceramic coated shorty headers that I found used on Craigslist some time ago. I use copper header gaskets (https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performa...10456/10002/-1). The headers bolt right into the stock Y-pipe and fit like a glove. From there, I installed a Magnaflow Converter - 99047HM (dual 2" inlets, 3" outlet, front O2 sensor port). A length of straight 3" pipe comes off the back of the catalytic converter and into a Dynomax UltraFlo Welded 3" Muffler - 17233. An O2 sensor bung was also welded into the pipe between the cat and muffler for the rear O2 sensor. A 3" tailpipe was fabricated to come off the back of the 3" muffler. I'm very happy with the 3" cat back system and it isn't too loud for my tastes.

Quick Reply: 5.2 heads/ parts on 5.9l block?