2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Up and down wobble in the back end of truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 09:03 PM
Hobbs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Up and down wobble in the back end of truck

I have a 98 Ram 1500. I just replaced all my tie rods and ball joints. Now I've got this up and down wobble in the rear of the truck. Can see the bed rail going up and down in the side view mirror. Feels like an out of balance tire. Had balances checked. Good to go. Anyone have any ideas? Thank you.

Old 05-25-2023, 09:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

How old are the tires? Shifted/broken belt? Separated tread? Or, maybe a bad U-joint.

Old 05-26-2023, 12:36 AM
Hobbs
Default Tire age

The tires are a couple of years old. That may very well be the case. That's kind of how it feels. Like there's an extra lump of weight inside one of the tires that's being slung around. Kind of like an unbalanced washing machine.

Old 05-26-2023, 10:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbs
The tires are a couple of years old. That may very well be the case. That's kind of how it feels. Like there's an extra lump of weight inside one of the tires that's being slung around. Kind of like an unbalanced washing machine.
I had a tire break one of the steel belts, and holy smoke, did that make for a rough ride.

The following users liked this post:
Keith_L (05-26-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 12:02 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 320 Likes on 302 Posts

If the tires check out OK, be sure to check your rear differential U-bolts to ensure that they haven't rusted through and broke. These hold the rear end housing to the rear springs. Luckily, I caught mine just before it was about to break due to rust.

Old 05-26-2023, 10:02 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbs
I have a 98 Ram 1500. I just replaced all my tie rods and ball joints. Now I've got this up and down wobble in the rear of the truck. Can see the bed rail going up and down in the side view mirror. Feels like an out of balance tire. Had balances checked. Good to go. Anyone have any ideas? Thank you.

Have someone drive your truck on a long straight, well paved road. Follow in another vehicle and what the rear wheels. You could have a bad tire, bent rim or axle and something else. Watch the tires to make sure they roll smooth and straight. At slow speed to can actually watch the tread is that's the problem.

The following users liked this post:
Hobbs (05-29-2023)
Old 05-29-2023, 09:02 PM
Hobbs

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I had a tire break one of the steel belts, and holy smoke, did that make for a rough ride.
Yes sir. Been there done that. Makes for an unpleasant ride.

Old 05-29-2023, 09:06 PM
Hobbs

Originally Posted by HeyYou
How old are the tires? Shifted/broken belt? Separated tread? Or, maybe a bad U-joint.
Non of those problems. I have a friend coming by in a little while and we're going to do the slow drive down the road and watch the tires thing. I can't find anything mechanical so it must be one of the tires going bad. Just need to get an eye on it so I know which one it is for sure. Now I'm not even so sure it's in the rear end. Lol. Today feels like front right.

Quick Reply: Up and down wobble in the back end of truck