2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Using Chat GPT to trouble shoot

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2023, 02:09 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

For those who haven't seen it, Watch Wes Work just did an episode using AI to troubleshoot something like a Chevy Trax.

At the moment I feel it's just another tool like my smartphone and YouTube. You still need a basic understanding of terminology and --in many cases -- a full complement of specialty tools.

I think just like YouTube mekaniks we'll see plenty of AI mekaniks who dive in head-first sure that AI will solve any problem for them. But like always they'll screw up something huge and abandon the job or have it towed to a shop.

Old 06-25-2023, 04:15 PM
topothemtn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you use GPT chat?

Old 06-25-2023, 06:08 PM
T410
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith_L
For those who haven't seen it, Watch Wes Work just did an episode using AI to troubleshoot something like a Chevy Trax.

At the moment I feel it's just another tool like my smartphone and YouTube. You still need a basic understanding of terminology and --in many cases -- a full complement of specialty tools.

I think just like YouTube mekaniks we'll see plenty of AI mekaniks who dive in head-first sure that AI will solve any problem for them. But like always they'll screw up something huge and abandon the job or have it towed to a shop.
These are logical concerns you express, but I think people fail to realize that chatgpt and other latent systems, DO NOT actually "scour the web" for data. They are fed and reinforced through very selective data sets to teach them. They can be specially trained to do almost any task with precision and accuracy that no human can compare to. Aside from that, I can show you several instances where our FSM is actually wrong!

These systems don't just spit out information someone else fed in. These systems process and "think" about millions of data points in near real time.... it's like being able to memorize every line of every fsm and being able to recall, compare and contrast them line for line at once. If I say to you "what is the torque spec and bolt order for _____ part?"..

You would still have to pull out the manual and look up the page, and by the time you had your info, Id have my bolts torqued, using chatgpt. Sure it can be wrong, but so can DODGE. So can the stealership mechanic that mounted a directional tire backwards on me last week...

Point is its not comparable to any current technology you have ever used for vehicle Diagnostics.

Certainly not youtube.

I would be happy to demonstrate it's capabilities to anyone who's interested...not within the realm of vehicle work but most recently I used chatGPT to help me design, build and program and entire automated greenhouse monitoring system, designed using handmade components and sensors, raspberry pi microcontroller, and the c++ QT programming platform. This includes generating accurate PHP, HTML, and MySQL database scripts. Chatgpt does thus with ease. If you don't know what that stuff means or how complex it is, ask chatGPT to explain it to you. It will also do that easily. I highly recommend trying it yourself and not basing your opinion off another's YouTube video...

I have no affiliations with these companies either, other than running a small dataserver in my house to run my own AI systems.

Last edited by T410; 06-25-2023 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-25-2023, 07:15 PM
T410

Originally Posted by Keith_L
You still need a basic understanding of terminology and --in many cases -- a full complement of specialty tools.
I just want to clarify I DO agree with this statement 100%. But my point is that it is not something to spoonfeed knowledge, but to compliment and enhance existing knowledge. I know it has improved my workflow and project times significantly.

there will always be YouTube mechanics breaking their cars though...

Old 06-26-2023, 09:54 AM
crisd
Amateur
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

T410, don't waste your time trying to argue with the hold my beer while I roll coal crowd. Please PM me, I have some specific questions about your project.

The following users liked this post:
T410 (06-26-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 02:53 PM
T410

Originally Posted by topothemtn
How do you use GPT chat?
I didn't see this comment before, apologies.

Check it out here:
https://openai.com/blog/chatgpt

There is a link to try it out, its free to use.

Be as specific as possible with your questions. Remember you are still talking to a computer and it will take you very literally, so be overly specific and descriptive for the best results.

Last edited by T410; 06-26-2023 at 02:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Keith_L (06-26-2023)

Quick Reply: Using Chat GPT to trouble shoot