2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Major tune up.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2023, 05:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
There's a slight curve to the block under it. I don't know if there's enough room for it to exit underneath. Before I start grinding or drilling, I want to finish the timing chain work. I don't want a chance of metal bits getting in the engine if I can avoid it. I'm cleaning the intake and doing all the fittings on it right now. With the heat, I work a bit then go in the A/C.

Once the lower engine is closed up and the intake is ready to go on, then I'll start drilling. The truck overall looks like I dragged it out of the weeds recently. Mechanically it should be like new when I'm done. As I've worked on stuff, I'm surprised it ran as good as it did. Plenum bolts removed by hand, a flat beer can laying inside under the intake, and oil soaked cigarette butts all over it.
Say WHAT? Someone used the open engine as an ashtray????? WTH??

Old 07-28-2023, 07:13 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Say WHAT? Someone used the open engine as an ashtray????? WTH??

I've seen jobs done like this before. The beer can lets me know quite a bit was consumed while the work was done. Besides the butts, I found a bunch of oil soaked twigs in the engine too. A couple of the plenum plate bolts were REALLY tight and others I undid with my fingers. I try to stay in shape, but I'm not THAT strong. I suspect this truck will run really strong once I get it back together. The PO had to redo the headliner as the guy he got it from was a chain smoker and you know what that does to headliners. I just marvel at how well it ran with copper spray gasket sealer but NO intake manifold gaskets.

Old 07-28-2023, 07:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
I've seen jobs done like this before. The beer can lets me know quite a bit was consumed while the work was done. Besides the butts, I found a bunch of oil soaked twigs in the engine too. A couple of the plenum plate bolts were REALLY tight and others I undid with my fingers. I try to stay in shape, but I'm not THAT strong. I suspect this truck will run really strong once I get it back together. The PO had to redo the headliner as the guy he got it from was a chain smoker and you know what that does to headliners. I just marvel at how well it ran with copper spray gasket sealer but NO intake manifold gaskets.
So, tell me Clark, how do you change without being noticed now that phone booths are no longer a thing?

So, the truck was at Larry, Curly, and Moe's garage for a while???

Old 07-28-2023, 08:17 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
So, tell me Clark, how do you change without being noticed now that phone booths are no longer a thing?

So, the truck was at Larry, Curly, and Moe's garage for a while???

It may have either been at their mechanics shop run by "Dewey, Cheathem and Howe" or over at "Jack Leggs" shop. My Dakota might have been worked on by the same people. Nothing this bad though.

Old 07-29-2023, 07:19 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

This is a classic.

Old 08-02-2023, 03:01 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Had some time today and put the new timing chain in. Popped right in and everything slid into place without much tapping with an assembly hammer. Then I got to the timing cover. The gasket where it meets the block was just there, no sealant. The mating seal for the water pump though, I spent nearly 2 hours cleaning that. Wire wheel and torch. I remember back in the mid to late 70's when RTV sealants became available. Before that, I had to use "Indianhead" shellac. That's what someone used on the water pump. I want to get the cover on and sealed before I try to drill the broken intake bolt out.

Old 08-16-2023, 08:14 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Got that silly broken bolt taken care of today. Most of the day trying to get it out. I drilled the center and ruined two E-Z- outs. At least I didn't break one off, those are fun to get out. I went to H-F and got some LH thread drill bits. I kept enlarging the hole trying to turn the broken stud out. I ended up drilling the hole bigger. I'll get a couple of longer bolts and just use a nut on it. That thing was NOT going to come out. It's out now and I can proceed with reassembly.

Quick Reply: Major tune up.