2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 Ram 1500 remote start alarm and brake controller install

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2023, 09:26 AM
Darren Davis
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Ram 1500 remote start alarm and brake controller install

1. Alright, hitting y'all with another post. I've purchased a viper remote start alarm system for my 98 1500. I'm having trouble finding the correct wiring diagram for my 98 so I can complete the install but can not find the proper wiring diagram for'em. I've looked on the12volt.com but only half of the colored wires it has on its diagram is not in my truck. I've also scoured all over the tube and find only 1 video of a man explaining the install on his 2000 in believe but he wiring colors also differed from mine. Anyone know how to get or where to find the correct wiring diagram for the 98?
  2. I've also purchased a decent brake controller for my 98 but DO NOT have the port for plug & play on my harness plug. Can someone tell me what to tap into for installation. If anyone has pictures showing what to tap into, that'll be a huge help. Thank you!

Old 06-24-2023, 10:54 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

Look for this 4 wire female connector inside your truck - it should be located on the left side of the steering column. It was buried in a mass of wires under the dash and isn't always easy to find, but it should be there. I purchased the plug and play connector wiring kit from Tekonsha (part #3020-P) since I have a Tekonsha brake controller.

Even if your truck didn't come with the towing package, that connector should be in the truck.

Old 06-24-2023, 11:01 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Download the Factory Service manual for your truck from here. Wiring diagrams are in section 8W.

Old 06-25-2023, 09:00 AM
Darren Davis
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Download the Factory Service manual for your truck from here. Wiring diagrams are in section 8W.
Everything but the 98-99 service manual is working. 98-99 manual isn't popping up at all.

Old 06-25-2023, 09:02 AM
Darren Davis
Amateur

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Look for this 4 wire female connector inside your truck - it should be located on the left side of the steering column. It was buried in a mass of wires under the dash and isn't always easy to find, but it should be there. I purchased the plug and play connector wiring kit from Tekonsha (part #3020-P) since I have a Tekonsha brake controller.

Even if your truck didn't come with the towing package, that connector should be in the truck.

I've looked and unplugged everything to see if I had that plug... nothing... So, what can I tap into in order for my brake controller to work?

Old 06-25-2023, 09:57 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Darren Davis
I've looked and unplugged everything to see if I had that plug... nothing... So, what can I tap into in order for my brake controller to work?
I thought the same thing and I eventually found it after doing a deeper dive into the wiring under the dash, in addition to conferring with other folks on this forum. They really hide that connector well. Does your truck have the factory tow package on it and the 7 pin plug for the trailer wiring connection at the rear of the truck?

Old 06-25-2023, 10:04 AM
Darren Davis
Amateur

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
I thought the same thing and I eventually found it after doing a deeper dive into the wiring under the dash, in addition to conferring with other folks on this forum. They really hide that connector well. Does your truck have the factory tow package on it and the 7 pin plug for the trailer wiring connection at the rear of the truck?
I've had the entire dash out for a month or so before I put back in and didn't see a single connection. No, it does not have factory tow package, I bought a brake controller with a 7pin plug for a trailer/camper. So what do I tap into to get the brake controller installed?

Old 06-25-2023, 10:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Darren Davis
Everything but the 98-99 service manual is working. 98-99 manual isn't popping up at all.
Comes up fine for me..... Not sure what that's all about.

Old 06-25-2023, 10:51 AM
Darren Davis
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Comes up fine for me..... Not sure what that's all about.

This is all it shows on my end when I tap on the 98-99 tab

Old 06-25-2023, 10:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

On mobile? I have no way to test that...... (I don't have a cell phone.)

Quick Reply: 98 Ram 1500 remote start alarm and brake controller install