2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No signal to one coil

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 07:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Power is supplied on the dark green/orange wire. Are you testing the right wire?? (should be same color as power feed for injectors.) There are a couple splices in there, S119, and an unlabled one for the 4 cylinder coil near the breakout for injector 8.

Old 09-15-2023, 08:16 AM
Drakecloude96
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Power is supplied on the dark green/orange wire. Are you testing the right wire?? (should be same color as power feed for injectors.) There are a couple splices in there, S119, and an unlabled one for the 4 cylinder coil near the breakout for injector 8.
dark green/ orange has power. It feeds into the harness for the 8/9 and 5/10 coil pack, 5/10 gets spark just fine, 8/9 does not. If I test the wires for 8/9 (ground wire from pcm) it gets a different reading than any of the working coils. I can't recall what the reading was because I've tested so much stuff at this point. But all I know is it's not doing its job. And if it was the harness, I should be able to splice directly from the pcm to the coil harness and get it to work. I've done that and still nothing.

Old 09-15-2023, 06:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Bad PCM.....

Old 10-03-2023, 12:35 PM
Drakecloude96

Okay, I sent the pcm back to be checked and this is what they sent back. When I had it running, the voltage was never at 18V. Thoughts?VIN: Correct

Part#: Correct

Connection: Good

Circuitry: Burn / Over Voltage 18+

Traces: Burn / Over Voltage 18+

Bench/Simulator: Fail

Vehicle/Motor Test: N/A

Engineer: Mario V

Conclusion:

It has been determined that the ECC has received 18+ voltage supplied.

The ECC cannot withstand voltage over 17v.

Issues must be resolved within the vehicle prior to the re-installation of another ECC

Possible Causes:

Overcharging

Corroded connections

Extensive Cranking

Faulty Harness

Blown fuses

Burned fusible links in the electrical system

Battery jumped reverse polarity

Bad Battery

Bad Alternator

Shorted Coil

Faulty Ground

Faulty Crank Sensor

Faulty Solenoid

Old 10-19-2023, 08:49 AM
Drakecloude96

I found the problem finally. So I borrowed some alligator clips and back probing pins. My coworker recommended seeing if the coil was still working by changing where the wires were supplying ground using the clips. So I did that and had spark on the side giving me problems but not on the side that was working. So narrowed it down again to wires or computer. So I tried something different. This entire time I would splice a wire direct to the computer and to the last inch of the plug on the coil. This time I used the probes and went directly to the coil and directly to the computer. And I got spark on all cylinders. I found the last inch of the wire by the plug on the coil side had pulled inside the sheath. So I depinned it and rewired the plug.
Thank you everyone for the diagrams and insight.

Quick Reply: No signal to one coil