2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Complete rebuild no low rpm power

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2023, 08:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Is it a Mopar IAC? Have you cleand the throttle body?

Old 08-08-2023, 06:53 PM
Slightlycrazy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It’s an oreilly IAC. I sand blasted and cleaned out all the ports I saw before putting sensors/valves back in albeit it was from another (identical) engine. I ran some checks w/ the scanner and I do see misfires most notably 3-6-7, two of those do have fluctuating kv testing the wires. It seems mostly at idle this happens, when raising the rpm I don’t see as many misfires. Since I rebuilt the injectors anything can really be in question though. When I do the injector kill test the rpm’s start rising and fluctuating before I cut it off so it’s hard to distinguish weather it’s fuel or ignition issue. My “troubleshooting cartridge “ lists thru ‘99 which should be the same for 2000 but doesn’t come up on the mt2500 as an option and the manual says that means it’s not applicable. I’m leaning more on th3 ignition side but I don’t want to keep parts swapping in hopes of an answer. This should run perfectly fine on OEM replacement parts.

Old 08-09-2023, 09:07 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Yes, it should. IAC shouldn't have any real effect on misfires, it controls idle speed, and that's it. 3 6 and 7 are fairly close in the firing order.... is the distributor cap mounted properly? (They can be a real pain, due to location.....)

Old 08-20-2023, 08:51 AM
Slightlycrazy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although fishy, the IAC test fine on the scanner stepping up to various rpm’s. I changed the rest of the wires and the cap and rotor with a different brand. I can still hear some misfires but the truck has its power and it didn’t stall the last couple times I drove it. While not perfect we’re gonna have to close the book on this as the ignition being the issue. The slight misses aren’t affecting drivability. I appreciate everyone’s help and wanted to leave the end result because I hate it when I search threads for an answer and they abruptly end with no conclusion.

Quick Reply: Complete rebuild no low rpm power