2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Vacuum/evap leak, engine sluggish after fresh rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2023, 10:42 PM
Alexdabest
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vacuum/evap leak, engine sluggish after fresh rebuild.

So, as I've posted in a few other threads, I recently rebuilt my 5.9 magnum engine in my 01 ram.

It's beEn running and driving alright, but its extraordinarily sluggish, has now thrown a code for an evap leak, has a hissing sound (sounds like from the passenger side) when it starts up, but that goes away after a minute. It does get louder upon acceleration for the time it lasts. The blend door flops back and forth before I even go into high gear, just while driving normally. And lastly im going through fuel like nobodys business.

I've replaced my check valves, all the rubber vacuum hoses I can find (the evap system hoses being the exception), the purge valve, blend door motor, vacuum connectors, etc.

I did install a throttle body spacer when I did the rebuild, so not sure if that could be the issue.

All that to say, I'm at a loss for what the issue is. I tried calling near me to get someone to set the fuel sync on the truck, but there's no one within an hours drive,so I haven't done that yet. Even still, i dont think an "off fuel sync" would cause a vacuum/evap leak (code is p0442). Any help would be appreciated. I've dealt with vacuum leaks the whole time I've owned the truck, just a nightmare to find without a smoke machine, which I don't have.

Old 07-03-2023, 08:26 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

P0442 Evap Leak Monitor Medium (0.040) Leak Detected
You need to inspect the evap hoses, Start with the main vac line that comes off the intake(in front of the TB on the passenger side) then trace it back.

Old 07-03-2023, 09:25 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

If you've truly been fighting vac leaks this long and can't afford a smoke machine, make one. Tons of vids on YT -- mostly a steel can and a soldering iron. Still, you'd have to have a MASSIVE vac leak to upset speed density (which is possible)

Old 07-04-2023, 07:44 PM
Alexdabest
Amateur

Originally Posted by Moparite
P0442 Evap Leak Monitor Medium (0.040) Leak Detected
You need to inspect the evap hoses, Start with the main vac line that comes off the intake(in front of the TB on the passenger side) then trace it back.

Update: went through all of my hoses, replaced a few that were older, though still appeared alright, for the heck of it. Took it for a drive, same thing. In fact, I took it up some hills, and at 3k rpms, it wouldn't even maintain a speed of 55mph (mind you these are less than a 6%grade). Pull a few things off my dash, etc, everything looked and sounded alright.

Is it possible that the throttle body spacer I installed could be causing this?

Old 07-04-2023, 08:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexdabest
Update: went through all of my hoses, replaced a few that were older, though still appeared alright, for the heck of it. Took it for a drive, same thing. In fact, I took it up some hills, and at 3k rpms, it wouldn't even maintain a speed of 55mph (mind you these are less than a 6%grade). Pull a few things off my dash, etc, everything looked and sounded alright.

Is it possible that the throttle body spacer I installed could be causing this?
Probably not, but, the throttle body spacer doesn't do you a bit of good. It's designed for wet-flow systems. Carbs, or throttle body injection. You have multipoint, so, dry flow. TB spacer was a waste of money.

The following users liked this post:
merc225hp (07-12-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 09:44 PM
Alexdabest
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Probably not, but, the throttle body spacer doesn't do you a bit of good. It's designed for wet-flow systems. Carbs, or throttle body injection. You have multipoint, so, dry flow. TB spacer was a waste of money.
Well, I removed the tb spacer, still having the same issue. It will still shift to defrost when accelerating, and will not climb hills on its own in cruise. Still also getting extremely bad mileage, and very sluggish driving, like worse that it was before the rebuild. However, from what I can tell, I have no vacuum leaks. I've not done a smoke text as suggested by one other person, but i don't hear any leaks at all. I'd think with issues like this it'd be a very large vacuum leak.

Still at a loss. May take it and do a vacuum pressure test just to see and go from there, but overall i have no clue whats wrong.

Old 07-09-2023, 09:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Alexdabest
Well, I removed the tb spacer, still having the same issue. It will still shift to defrost when accelerating, and will not climb hills on its own in cruise. Still also getting extremely bad mileage, and very sluggish driving, like worse that it was before the rebuild. However, from what I can tell, I have no vacuum leaks. I've not done a smoke text as suggested by one other person, but i don't hear any leaks at all. I'd think with issues like this it'd be a very large vacuum leak.

Still at a loss. May take it and do a vacuum pressure test just to see and go from there, but overall i have no clue whats wrong.
Have a look down the throttle body, into the intake manifold. See oil pooling in there? There's your vacuum leak. Common problem on the magnum engines.

Old 07-09-2023, 10:36 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

That should have been addressed with the rebuild.
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...p?partid=27091

Old 07-10-2023, 12:21 AM
Alexdabest
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Have a look down the throttle body, into the intake manifold. See oil pooling in there? There's your vacuum leak. Common problem on the magnum engines.

This shouldn't be an issue as I replaced the plenum gasket when I rebuilt the engine. I even torqued every bolt to spec on that, even if it wasnt "necessary" just because i know that is a common issue. On top of that, im not losing oil, or smoking out the exhaust, so im pretty sure that's not my issue.

Old 07-10-2023, 09:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I would look anyway. Your symptoms align pretty well with blown plenum.

Quick Reply: Vacuum/evap leak, engine sluggish after fresh rebuild.