2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Curious to slipping in 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2023, 01:18 AM
Sirriggs
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Curious to slipping in 3rd

I know I drive some of you crazy but I was thinking. I believe this was my problem before doing a rebuild on this 46re transmission. As some of you know that everything has been replaced. I am going to do a fluid check by this weekend to make sure it's not low. I did a sharp turn both left and right and it didn't slip as it normally would if fluid was low. I did a trouble shooting guide and it really doesn't give much information with slipping then fluid level. It's looking like 2 to 3 weeks before a local transmission could take a look at it. 1st and 2nd seem to be shifting but 3rd seems to be the issue. I was waiting for it to hit around 500 miles before I was going to do a fluid drop and strain to remove that debris I believe is from the new friction disk. I haven't driven it for about a week since it was slipping bad enough that I thought I was going to make it home and it didn't even go into limp mode either. I have no codes other then the speed sensor which was replaced before it started to slip like it's doing now. I was experiencing on the work the same day. That was when it threw the code. Until I can get them to check it. It's a guessing game? My thoughts is either the pump or the valve body is causing it? I am wondering if maybe this debris has clogged something up? I couldn't get the lower line to come off. The one with the check ball.

My question is has anybody had these same symptoms and could give an idea of what to maybe try? I dread the transmission shop because I'm sure it wont be a cheap fix. lol

Old 08-10-2023, 06:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Need to see what pressures are doing in third......

Old 08-10-2023, 06:05 PM
Sirriggs
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Need to see what pressures are doing in third......
Yeah, I agree. Just hard sitting here not being able to do anything. lol. Thanks.

Old 08-11-2023, 12:05 PM
69_XS29L
Veteran
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Been looking for a good reason to post this link. Diagnosis of trans troubles, 47RE using home built gauges.
If you have a service manual, you do right? ,this will point you in the correct direction, port locations differ a bit.
https://mopar1973man.com/cummins/art...ng-guide-r622/
Very useful.
This guy also has a write up on the late model T-Style HD steering linkage conversion with part numbers, along with a lot of other GenII Ram tech, mostly oriented towards Cummins stuff.

Old 08-12-2023, 08:49 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts
Old 08-12-2023, 06:40 PM
Sirriggs
Captain

Thanks Guys. Everything is on hold at the moment with this heat. It's just been way too hot to even spend anytime outside.

Old 08-12-2023, 07:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

In Florida? Yeah, I can believe that.... I live in Michigan, and Florida was too hot and humid in friggin MARCH the last time I was there.

Old 08-13-2023, 12:58 AM
Sirriggs
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
In Florida? Yeah, I can believe that.... I live in Michigan, and Florida was too hot and humid in friggin MARCH the last time I was there.
Pretty much every day has been in the 90s feeling like 105 all day. High 80s at night. I am doing 2 to 3 shirt changes at working daily. Went out this morning around 6:30 am and with in maybe 15 minutes I was wet and sweaty. Just gave up and went back inside.

Quick Reply: Curious to slipping in 3rd