2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

misfire issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 06:46 AM
Laurens Moja
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Laurens Moja
I'll look to test it soon, can borrow some testers from the garage!
went to inspection again today and passed it!
Replaced the denso plugs with NGK 2460!

There's only one thing i still felt difference from :
First did air intake and rotor + cap + wires. This made my car preform as it should've had. No plugs where changed and my bosch R8 plugs where still in it. These plugs where old, so i got the denso's from the shop. Immediately felt less power again, and with the NGK's as well.

I've ordered a new coil , since this hasn't been replaced in the 9 years i'm driving it. Hoping this could bring back the performance.

It drove a few days verry well untill i changed the plugs. This can't be due to compression issues right..

Should be something else in my head..
Since i'm running on LPG, and the old bosch plugs the gap was a bit wider. Could a tighter gap on the plugs give performance issue's?

I feel it especially in the 1500 - 2500 rpm zone.

Old 08-30-2023, 09:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Not sure just the plug gap would make much difference...... but, I don't have the science background to say for sure. And running on LPG is completely foreign to me. I would think LPG would be far easier to ignite...... If you are feeling adventurous, could try experimenting with plug gap.... open 'em up a bit, see if anything changes.

Old 08-31-2023, 02:36 AM
Laurens Moja
Professional

I'll do some testing with the plugs next week.
Any other potential causers of torque loss in low end RPM?
Will recheck plenum. Didn't have a good look when doing throttlebdy.
Btw, you guys use dielectric grease on plugboots etc?

Old 08-31-2023, 06:38 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

you guys use dielectric grease on plugboots etc?
YES! Don't use it and the next time you have to take off the boots you will see why.
Is there any way of posting some pics of what the throttle body looks like(the lp add on's) I have seen it done on small engines but never V8 with throttle body's. In the small engines there is a rod that delivers the lp into the carb but not sure if it's the same for throttle body's.

Old 09-02-2023, 04:37 PM
Laurens Moja
Professional

Originally Posted by Moparite
YES! Don't use it and the next time you have to take off the boots you will see why.
Is there any way of posting some pics of what the throttle body looks like(the lp add on's) I have seen it done on small engines but never V8 with throttle body's. In the small engines there is a rod that delivers the lp into the carb but not sure if it's the same for throttle body's.
The throttle body remains the same, onto the mounting bolts for fuel rails , is another LPG rail mounted. Few cm's above the fuel ports are connectors drilled in, those connect to the LPG injectors. I'll get some pics of the complete setup!

Cleaned injector 5 on fuel, took it out, put 12v to it and sprayed some carb cleaner through, didn't seem to solve the misfire, unless it's not getting pulse from the connector , might have to check that out..

Im looking to get a compression tester asap!
New coil arrives tomorrow , going to hook that up, never been changed in those 9 years i own the car..

I'm able to get a engine from a rotten frame with 180k miles for about 800$ got some vids of it running, seems to run smooth. Is that reasonable as backup? Or as core to rebuild? Seems to be a good price to me!

Old 09-04-2023, 09:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

If it still sounds decent when running, it will at least be a good rebuildable core.

Old 09-16-2023, 01:40 PM
Laurens Moja
Professional

Allright some updates.

The car drives for 80% of the time stable and powerfull on LPG. Sometimes i start and it lacks power, turn it off and start again and it's back on power. Strange can't seem to figure it out. Went to some LPG tech's everything looked good!

Now. I'm still running into missfires on cyl 5. Today i've replaced the injector with a new one, and still..
Felt at all injectors , and only cyl 5 isn't clicking. So it must be electrical 100% sure.

Does someone have a wire diagram of the injector harness? I believe the LPG ones are spliced into the wiring loom for each seperate injector. That one splice might be bad...

Old 09-17-2023, 10:44 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion

LP is not injected like gasoline, It gets introduced into the engine in what's called a mixer(acts similar to a carburetor). LP systems have what's called a lock off but that needs 12v constant to engage(it lets the lp flow). Hard to help because i have never seen this set up here in the states. Still waiting for someone to post pics of it to understand how it was installed. The injectors get 12v positive from the asd relay and the pcm feeds a ground pulse to activate the injector. You can look threw the fsm's here.

Old 09-18-2023, 05:40 AM
Laurens Moja
Professional

So the LPG is stored under pressure in a tank in the bed. Due to it beeing presurized it's actually liquid.

The LP mixer works with the coolant, heats up the liquid LPG and turns it into gas. This gets injected by injectors right above the EFI port holes.

Sorry pictures took a while: here they are!

LPG injection nipples into intake

Injector rail left side

From the LPG injectors to freshly ported "nipples" on the kegger

LPG ecu

Mixer

Right LPG injectors

Gas tank , in the bed. Behind cover is 12v solenoid valve

Valve 12v

Tubing from mixer -> lpg filter -> injectors

Old 09-18-2023, 06:43 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion

That orange thing looks like a vaporizer, Truly a bizarre set up! Thanks for posting pics.

Quick Reply: misfire issues