2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Did I cook my PCM or my ignition switch??

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2023, 05:54 PM
LeaveWellEnoughAlone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I cook my PCM or my ignition switch??

So long story short as my username suggests I did not leave well enough alone was probing around the fuse box testing circuits like horn, fuel pump and etc by jumping the pins on the fuse box. I wasn’t paying attention and jumped the control pins for the relay for the fuel pump instead of the power and ground by accident. 😤.

I Jumped Pin 85-86 on accident

now when I turn the key my fuel pump won’t prime? If I jump the connection the fuel pump primes. I checked all fuses everything good but no fuel pump prime. Did I just kill my PCM???

looking at a wiring diagram the PCM controls the fuel pump relay so that is my conclusion my horn still works I haven’t gotten the truck back together enough as on waiting on other parts too finish the swap. Too attempt too start it with a jumped fuel pump

edit: before I incorrectly jumped the control circuit the fuel pump primed and worked perfectly fine I was trying too run the pump too drain the tank as I am doing an engine and the truck was gonna sit and has a full tank

Last edited by LeaveWellEnoughAlone; 08-26-2023 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-26-2023, 06:22 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

What is the year, make and model of your truck? I just had a similar issue like this with a Dakota and replacing the PCM fixed my fuel pump not priming prime issue, as I suspect that either the PCM just went bad (truck has over 300,000 miles on it) or someone else shorted out the PCM while troubleshooting...

Old 08-26-2023, 07:51 PM
LeaveWellEnoughAlone

The truck is a 2000 Dodge ram extended cab with the 5.9 magnum(Chrysler small block 360)

Old 08-26-2023, 11:08 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

Unfortunately, if you decide to obtain a replacement PCM for that year truck, the VIN will need to be coded to the PCM. Earlier year PCMs (I believe at least up until 1997) didn't require coding the VIN to the PCM, so you could easily swap another PCM with the same part number without issue.

Old 08-27-2023, 08:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Jumping 85 and 86 shouldn't smoke the PCM.

Old 08-27-2023, 10:15 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Is the fuse good(upper left in the diagram)? Was the ignition on when you jumped it?

Old 09-11-2023, 10:41 PM
LeaveWellEnoughAlone

So as it turns out when you unhook the ground by the driver side of the front of the engine that disconnects the grounds for the PCM and many others plugged it back in and all is well.

You can see this wire in this first pic I just bolted it to the valve cover,
If you are getting a “No bus” on dash I would check this ground wire and all other grounds too the engine before replacing the pcm

Somebody from Chrysler should of color coded the ground cable from the alternator power cable what a shock and a blown 140amp fuse now I know not too bolt the alternator cable too the engine block 😒😅

A bad coolant sensor is causing the engine too be dumped fuel and not start

The engine swap is coming along it actually has the motor mounts, and starter on but I got this engine from a literal trailer park salvage yard and this definitely was no auto dismantler at works there nothing but hacks and a 360 magnum costing $700 out of your mind?!?! But none the less I needed one real bad.

Quick Reply: Did I cook my PCM or my ignition switch??