2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My 01 Ram 5.2 won’t start but turns over fast as it ever did..

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 03:30 AM
2001RamGuy
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 01 Ram 5.2 won’t start but turns over fast as it ever did..

I’ve been having trouble with my left front signal/light for a year but that’s not a big deal. I checked the bulb and the socket and everything is good. In the last couple of weeks there’s been occasions when every light in the dash comes on all at once.. Eng lite, abs lite, parking brake lite, (all of them)
I scanned it and all I got was a EVAP code. Even though the transmission has been unable to go into first gear (automatic) and there used to be a code for that issue too but it didn’t show up when I scanned it yesterday.
Now it won’t even start anymore and just cranks over forever and doesn’t even try to start.
Something weird is going on and I don’t have the patience or days and days and days to diagnose and backtrack everything.
Could it be a bad ground somewhere or do I just happen to have 3-4 problems all coming up in a short period of time ?
thanks to anyone who knows more than me. I’ve had this truck for 22 years and I don’t want to scrap it because of a simple thing that I’m not aware of TY
I guess maybe as someone told me “”I should clean up all grounds and pull the computer off the firewall and make sure it’s getting a good ground too 🤷🏻‍♂️
Edit….. it just started fine at 5am when the whole vehicle is colder and covered in early morning dew, but wouldn’t start yesterday in the day when it was 32degs Celsius and dry outside 🤦🏻‍♂️
Cranked over just fine on both occasions but didn’t start until 5am and it’s damp and colder 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited by 2001RamGuy; 09-06-2023 at 06:24 AM.
Old 09-06-2023, 09:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,282 Likes on 3,029 Posts

Unfortunately, I suspect you have more than one problem there. Need to find out what is missing when it won't start, spark, or fuel.

The following users liked this post:
2001RamGuy (09-07-2023)
Old 09-06-2023, 10:56 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 366 Likes on 344 Posts

In the last couple of weeks there’s been occasions when every light in the dash comes on all at once..
Is this while the engine is running?

Old 09-07-2023, 06:01 AM
2001RamGuy
Amateur
Default Thanks Admin

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Unfortunately, I suspect you have more than one problem there. Need to find out what is missing when it won't start, spark, or fuel.
yes I guess that’s my best next move.. check to see if it’s spark that’s missing. Ty.
I haven’t changed the cap rotor or plugs in close to 10 years but I would imagine if it was plugs or cap or wires it would have started running rough and missing at some point instead of running fine one day and then not able to fire up the next day but maybe the computer sees resistance and just shuts off power to the coil even though it ran fine the day before 🤔😞

Old 09-07-2023, 06:10 AM
2001RamGuy
Amateur
Default Thanks Moparite

Originally Posted by Moparite
Is this while the engine is running?
It doesn’t happen when driving..
it just wouldn’t start Tuesday night at 9pm but at 5am Wednesday morning when it was colder and damp it fired up at the flick of the key,
but then yesterday at 5pm when it was 32degs and dry it wouldn’t start again.
Turns over really fast (just put a new battery in 6 months ago) so it’s not low on voltage for sure.
I was a mechanic for 20 years but I’ve never seen anything so strange.
Thanks

Old 09-07-2023, 08:16 AM
2001RamGuy
Amateur
Default It just started for 10-20 seconds and then shut off

I have a bad rear main seal leak at 260,000 Klms does anyone think it could be oil in the wire plug/socket that plugs into the bottom of the transmission just behind the linkage or could it be the EVAP system code that I just got a week ago shutting the vehicle off or stopping it from starting. I just got it running for 10 seconds and it shut off.
Could an EVAP code or problem cause it to not start or shut off after a few seconds ??
Thanks very much for any help.
I’m a older guy on little income (thus still driving the same vehicle for 22yrs) so if I can’t find out what’s going on I’ll probably have to scrap it.
That would suck after spending $5000 on body and paint 5/6 years ago :-(

Old 09-07-2023, 09:33 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 366 Likes on 344 Posts

As said you need to see what's missing either fuel or spark. Get fuel pressure gauge and see what the pressure is at key on(not crank) should be 49psi. I think some of the newer trucks don't have the port on the fuel rail so you will have to hook it up in line. Put a timing light on the coil wire and crank the motor over. You should see it flash.

2001RamGuy (09-08-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 09:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,282 Likes on 3,029 Posts

Does you have an alarm on the truck? Factory or aftermarket?

2001RamGuy (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 01:19 AM
2001RamGuy
Amateur
Default Thanks Moparite

Originally Posted by Moparite
As said you need to see what's missing either fuel or spark. Get fuel pressure gauge and see what the pressure is at key on(not crank) should be 49psi. I think some of the newer trucks don't have the port on the fuel rail so you will have to hook it up in line. Put a timing light on the coil wire and crank the motor over. You should see it flash.
Ty very much. I do here the fuel pump coming on when I turn the key forward. I spent 6 hours today cleaning up every ground ((around 10 of them)) on the whole vehicle.
I pushed the needle valve in on the fuel rail and some gas came out but it just dribbled out (did not seem like 45psi) but maybe I had the key off when I pushed it open.
At 8pm or so last night I was able to get someone to turn the key while I checked for spark. As it was running I was holding his tool against the plug wire and the light on it was bright on some fires but dim on some other fires.
Then it died a min later and I asked him to crank it again and I got nothing on the spark tester.
it seems to be losing spark just randomly for no reason. Yet when it’s running it’s as smooth as brand new.
I got a “No buS” last night in my odometer but it only happened after I tried to do some testing on sensors and stuff on a cheap code reader $200. That told me after wasn’t able to do it even though it gives me the option stupid Equis garbage.
So maybe it just said “NobuS” because I was trying to do things with the junk scanner that says it can do it but doesn’t.
Thanks very much Moparite 🙏🏻

Old 09-08-2023, 01:48 AM
2001RamGuy
Amateur
Default Thanks Admin, Yes it does..

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Does you have an alarm on the truck? Factory or aftermarket?
I bought it 1 year old in 02 and the guy told me it had an alarm system somehow that was installed in the factory when he bought it new. It’s by a company called (Code Alarm)
it works off the Keyless entry fob. If I push the lock button twice it sets the alarm. If I just push the lock button once it just locks the doors.
They put the stupid Red/Light which is also a push button for doing something to the alarm right ontop of my steering column tight to the Tilt Steering lever.
When I turn or adjust the tilt or bang my hand on the steering wheel the red-light/ push button (All in one blinks all the time but I’ve always just ignored it.
I think there’s another wire inside my column that has been chaffed off or shorter inside there for the ABS because my ABS light has been in for years and I can hear something inside the column moving around like a lose wire or something, it makes a little clicking or flicking noise as I turn from left to right.
But that’s been going on for years.
I was able to get somebody to turn it over for me last night and what’s happening is it’s losing spark. Checked it while holding a spark tester against the plug wire.
Then 5 or 20 mins later it will give spark again and run for a min or 5 and then it’s just like turning off the key. Gone.. then no spark until….. who knows. Sometimes it will restart in a min and die in a min and then sometimes it won’t start until the next day.
I found it very odd that twice last night it was running but when I put it in Drive it died. But then it never did it after.
Wonder if that stupid alarm light/button and the ABS wires in the column are tangled ?? But why would it just shut off randomly after running for 5 mins and just idling in my driveway ?
If it was a short in the column between the Alarm system and or the broken ABS wire wouldn’t it just run forever if it started and I’m not turning the steering ?
Thanks so very much Hey You (Admin) I really really appreciate your help and Moparite’s help 🙏🏻🙏🏻

Quick Reply: My 01 Ram 5.2 won’t start but turns over fast as it ever did..