2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My 01 Ram 5.2 won’t start but turns over fast as it ever did..

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2023, 02:22 AM
2001RamGuy
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Apologies….

I’m not sure why that last post or message came up twice. My phone or the site was acting unusual when I tried to post it and I never got notification that it succeeded the first time.

Old 09-10-2023, 07:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Could your scanner still talk to the pcm?

The following users liked this post:
2001RamGuy (09-10-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 10:06 AM
2001RamGuy
Amateur
Default Thanks Hey You

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Could your scanner still talk to the pcm?
Yeah my scanner is still looking for codes and communicating but not finding anything so I’m not really sure why the No buS came up in the Odometer ?
BUT I think I have found the problem..
i called an old friend of mine on Friday that I worked with around 93-94 who did much more diagnostic stuff than I did as a mechanic.
As I mentioned in comment number 15 he told me that “the fuel pump should cut in every time i turn the key on regardless, even if it was just running 10 seconds ago or if I had the key turned on 10 seconds ago.
He advised me “If the fuel pump doesn’t Pwr up just after it died and your trying to start it again lay on the ground an beat on the bottom of the tank in the middle where the pump is and see if it will start then.”
I just got that to work 5-6 times so I THINK I may have finally found the problem.
He said something about if the engine doesn’t get correct fuel pressure after 3 seconds (or something like that) the computer shuts down fire so I won’t see any spark.
So that would explain why i wasn’t getting any spark I guess..
I hope it’s not a coincidence that it started back up 5-6 times after punching the bottom of my tank.
I’m glad it’s plastic LOL
Fuel pump is $300. & my tank is 3/4 full and the tank has never been out in 23 years so that’s not so pleasant, but I’m just glad I don’t have to lay on top of the engine for hour and hours and hours changing crank sensor, cam sensor, cap, rotor on and on and on just hoping and praying that would fix it.
I Love this Place, forum, group.
I’ve been a member for maybe 10 years and I really appreciate all the help/advise and information that I’ve received over the years here.
Dodgeforum you rock.
Thanks so much to You… (Hey You) and (Moparite) you guys were such a big help.
Now I’m off to order a pump I guess, not sure if I’ll go Delphi or Bosch.
Come to think of it I think I’ll call the dealer and see if they still carry pumps for 23 year old Rams. Even if it’s a couple bucks more I would rather have OEM !!!
I’ll come back once I’ve got the new pump installed and hopefully be able to say YES it’s fixed. LOL
Have a Great Day …

Last edited by 2001RamGuy; 09-10-2023 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Just want to add a sentence
Old 09-11-2023, 07:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

The 2nd gen trucks PCM doesn't care about fuel pressure. There is no sensor for that. But, if your pump stops, or just isn't putting out enough pressure, the engine stops running.

If you live somewhere NOT in the rust belt, could try lifting the bed, rather than dropping the tank.

And of COURSE the pump fails shortly after you fill the tank. That's one of the rules.

The following users liked this post:
2001RamGuy (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 08:33 AM
2001RamGuy
Amateur
Default OH…..

The 2nd gen trucks PCM doesn't care about fuel pressure. There is no sensor for that. But, if your pump stops, or just isn't putting out enough pressure, the engine stops running.

If you live somewhere NOT in the rust belt, could try lifting the bed, rather than dropping the tank.

And of COURSE the pump fails shortly after you fill the tank. That's one of the rules.
Thanks HeyYou I guess it just must have been a coincidence I guess then that it restarted 5-6 times yesterday morning after pounding on the bottom of the tank.
Glad I didn’t go ahead and order a $200-$300 fuel pump already 😬
Because when it dies or will not start there is no spark.
I thought I heard someone say somewhere,,, my friend I called or online or something that the spark will be shut down if there’s no fuel pressure.
So it’s not the fuel pump after all I guess. Damn,
is my old friend correct though by saying the fuel pump should power up every time the key is turned on no matter what ?
Because it doesn’t sometimes.
Thank You very much (HeyYou) …

Old 09-12-2023, 08:01 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yep, pump should prime each and every time you turn the ignition on. If it doesn't, try swapping relays around first. If that doesn't help. Check grounds for those circuits.

Old 09-12-2023, 11:52 PM
2001RamGuy
Amateur
Default Thank You so much 🙏🏻

Yep, pump should prime each and every time you turn the ignition on. If it doesn't, try swapping relays around first.
If that doesn't help. Check grounds for those circuits.
Ty HeyYou …. I’ve had it running 3 or 4 times today but same thing. It just randomly dies.
And I must have read your mind i guess or we are both thinking of the same next step, because I swapped the ASD & a few other Eng relays around today and it’s still doing it.
It appears when it dies it loses spark and fuel pump power.
If I keep turning the key back and forth it eventually starts.
Strange.
I put a new TPS sensor on this truck 3-4 years ago because someone told me the old OEM one could be causing the shifting issues I’ve been having.
Is there any chance it’s garbage and causing it to shut down and then kill the spark and power to the fuel pump ??
I have cleaned up every ground I can see or find except the Big one that goes from the battery to the head/block by the water pump but that one I fixed 4 years ago when I had to replace my water pump because it twisted off while trying to get the bolt out.
But I’m pretty sure that’s the biggest ground there is and if it was bad the starter would not turn over…
Thanks so much again for your help

it’s really appreciated. 🙏🏻

Last edited by 2001RamGuy; 09-13-2023 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention about Grounds
Old 09-13-2023, 07:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Sounds like a failing sensor. Symptoms point at the crank sensor, but, not exactly an inexpensive part...... Don't use any aftermarket part there though, these engines really don't like the aftermarket fellers.... get the mopar part number, search on that to find a good price.

Could be PCM too though..... Next time it dies, put an ice pack on the pcm for a couple minutes.... see if it starts back up.

Old 09-13-2023, 11:52 PM
2001RamGuy
Amateur
Default Thanks very much HeyYou 🙏🏻

Sounds like a failing sensor. Symptoms point at the crank sensor, but, not exactly an inexpensive part...... Don't use any aftermarket part there though, these engines really don't like the aftermarket fellers.... get the mopar part number, search on that to find a good price.

Could be PCM too though..... Next time it dies, put an ice pack on the pcm for a couple minutes.... see if it starts back up.
Thanks…. I’ll get a bag of ice and try that the next time.
The only 2 other things that physically look bad or sound bad is the ground on the PCM (which I tried to get the screw the out) but after putting about 30 or 40 ft pounds pressure on it it felt like the head was going to snap off instead of unscrewing.
If I snap it off I am not sure how to ground it any other way except taking one of the tiny screws on the corners of the PCM out and attaching it to one of those little screws that hold the PCM together.

And the second thing is.. I’m hearing a light random clicking or ticking at the bottom of the bell housing at idle.. It sounds like a pebble flying around the torque converter or flywheel area.
But it goes away after rpm is increased.
I can barely here it unless I lay underneath the truck and put my head by the torque converter area.
I will see if I can share a short video..

Have you ever heard of the crank sensor coming loose from its own bracket and rattling against the flywheel or is this probably just a broken vein in my Transmission pump. The transmission does have issues too sad face.
I hope the video goes through so you can here it. Sorry so long winded but I have really got to get this figured out.
Sucks having no wheels
Thanks very much HeyYou 🙏🏻🙏🏻

Old 09-14-2023, 12:04 AM
2001RamGuy
Amateur
Default I tried to share a 5 second video…

But maybe it didn’t go through because my last message was a bit long..
I’ll try and see if it will go through now in a separate comment.
It’s the clicking or rattling noise that I wonder if it is the crank sensor that may have came lose from its own bracket and banging on the flywheel.
Thanks very much for your help..

Quick Reply: My 01 Ram 5.2 won’t start but turns over fast as it ever did..