2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

02 Dodge Ram 2500 v10

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2023, 02:55 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts
Default 02 Dodge Ram 2500 v10

Still have 2nd gen appreciation... So when I saw a clean looking one came up locally, I went and looked at a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 with the V10. I go to get under the truck, guy tells me these don't come with catalytic converters, or he said that the o2 sensors were both ahead of the converters in stock form and didn't need a catalytic convertor... I'm not sure what exactly he said, as I figured I'd have to put a cat on it to run legally ( yearly emissions/safety inspections in the county I register in PA). I get under the truck and I find a compression fitting on the brake line near the gas tank, he tells me he has a full set of SS lines for it. Good coating of oil on the tcase, so something is leaking back there. Has a new tail pipe and some dual to single y pipe right in front of the muffler... He tells me he swapped the engine with another with the same mileage when he bought it. The doors have had some work, the rockers have a little bubbling at the cab corner. Dash has a very poor fitting glue cover on it, driver seat is worn - he shows me a factory looking bottom cover that he hasn't put on yet. I go to attach my OBD2 reader and I'm not feeling the port under the dash... something is up there. Noticed a crack in the windshield on the passenger side. Wheels are the factory aluminum style, with the clear coat starting to peel. Rest of the body looks ok. Pulled the equipment listing, 3.55 gears SLT truck.

Starts right up and sounds good. If it were really nice and didn't need anything to look presentable, I'd be more interested focused on it... thinking too much cost and work to make it what I want it to be.

Last edited by fj5gtx; 10-22-2023 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-22-2023, 11:05 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

Yes a federal emissions V10 only has upstream O2 sensors on each bank which means the PCM wouldn't know if the catalytic converters are working or even present. But they did come with catalytic converters for each bank, sandwiched next to each other. So if the emissions inspection includes a visual it won't pass.

The OBD port had disappeared on my truck too, I guess they get easily dislodged from its mount. It needs to be somewhere though otherwise you have even more issues.

Old 10-23-2023, 08:31 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

How much is he asking for it? How many miles on it? Keep in mind, the 8.0 is a THIRSTY engine. If you break into double digit gas mileage, yer doin' good....

Old 10-23-2023, 01:24 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
How much is he asking for it? How many miles on it? Keep in mind, the 8.0 is a THIRSTY engine. If you break into double digit gas mileage, yer doin' good....
asking 10K / 123K std cab. I've heard some v10 parts are made of unobtainium as well :-) My preference is 5.9 gas and 4.10s, because those engines are everywhere and I like to run tall tires.

Old 10-23-2023, 01:47 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
asking 10K / 123K std cab. I've heard some v10 parts are made of unobtainium as well :-) My preference is 5.9 gas and 4.10s, because those engines are everywhere and I like to run tall tires.
Might want to try looking for a 2nd gen truck down south since the road salt and associated vehicle rust isn't as bad as what's seen in the northern states.

Quick Reply: 02 Dodge Ram 2500 v10