2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 2500 Sticking starter problem and buzzer, help

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2023, 11:18 AM
adkins.tristan@yahoo.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 2500 Sticking starter problem and buzzer, help

I have a 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel, when I started my truck this morning the starter continued engagement after the truck was running, then when I turned the ignition off the starter continued to crank, then trying to shut it off I turned the ignition again and then off before it finally quit shortly after. It still cranks over just fine but now I’m getting a constant buzz from the alarm with the key in whether the vehicle is running or not. I swapped the starter relay with one of the other relays(trailer relay) in the power distribution box and it’s starting fine, I’m assuming I still have some underlying issues but the biggest one right now is the constant buzzing, is this supposed to be like a do not drive/do not start warning? For context the check engine light has probably been on since like 2005 so that’s not a new development.

Old 10-24-2023, 01:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,402 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Nope. Basically it means the contacts for the Key-in-ignition switch are shorted. Think ya need to replace the lock cylinder for that problem....

Old 10-24-2023, 03:15 PM
adkins.tristan@yahoo.com

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Nope. Basically it means the contacts for the Key-in-ignition switch are shorted. Think ya need to replace the lock cylinder for that problem....
would it just be the lock cylinder that needs replacing or would it be the ignition switch and the lock cylinder?

Old 10-24-2023, 04:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Just the lock cylinder, I think.....

Old 10-24-2023, 05:54 PM
adkins.tristan@yahoo.com

Interesting development, so I replaced the starter relay and it seems to be starting more normal than before, I also replaced the ASD relay cause it seemed to be a bit warm and I had bought a couple of them and had nothing to lose. Driving back from the parts store my check engine light turned off, which is interesting cause it’s consistently been on for a LONG time, really only seen it turn off rarely on long road trips or when I was driving back and forth across the country (almost concerning when it turns off cause it’s been on for so long). The buzzer is nonstop going off because of the seatbelt, didn’t notice it cause when I was test driving it this morning I didn’t have my seatbelt on, also the seatbelt light is constantly lit up now even when buckled up. Any thoughts? The seatbelt light may have come on before if I remember correctly and buzzer have never come on for the seatbelt.

Old 10-25-2023, 07:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

There are switches in the buckles, if the switch fails, or the wiring, or, it simply gets unplugged under the seat, you will have that problem.

Quick Reply: 97 2500 Sticking starter problem and buzzer, help