2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Porcelain Debris From Broken Spark Plug On Top of Cylinder, Take Head Off?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2023, 08:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

I used the 'run it without a spark plug' method a few times. It actually works pretty good.....

The following users liked this post:
Keith_L (10-28-2023)
Old 10-28-2023, 10:03 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

Then you run the chance of it getting between the piston and cylinder wall. I like the small tube and vac idea, You also can use a piece of solid wire with clay or bubble gum on the end. Then work your way around till you get it all.

Old 10-28-2023, 12:27 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
Then you run the chance of it getting between the piston and cylinder wall. I like the small tube and vac idea, You also can use a piece of solid wire with clay or bubble gum on the end. Then work your way around till you get it all.

That or grease on a wire would work like an earlier post said. The grease will burn off when the engine runs.

Old 10-28-2023, 12:46 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 124 Likes on 112 Posts

Here again you can jump to 50:00 and Eric O just fires it up blow porcelain out. In some other part of the vid he mentions no shop would reasonably consider pulling the head for some broken porcelain-- it's simply not time or cost effective.

That said, pulling heads on 3V Tritons is a bit more labor intensive than Magnums-- if for no other reason than the design of the engine bay (but also differences in timing covers and OHC vs pushrod)

Old 10-28-2023, 04:04 PM
MtnTow
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Personally, my experiences have been the opposite. Ive never seen a shop that would risk a clients engine by just running it.

Ive definitely seen guys do it for their own or a brother in law kinda deal but not a client.

Having seen the results of more than one engine that injested solid foreign materials, i wouldn't do it unless it was an extreme scenario.

I seem to remember a guy that would flood th3 cylinders to push things out but he was special. Lol

Quick Reply: Porcelain Debris From Broken Spark Plug On Top of Cylinder, Take Head Off?