2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE slips out of 3 and 4 when accelerating 98 Ram 1500 5.9 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 12:19 AM
Gantzer Bros
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46RE slips out of 3 and 4 when accelerating 98 Ram 1500 5.9 4x4

I'm considering buying a remanufactured 45RE transmission to replace the one in my rig. It seems to go completely out of gear when accelerating, after having driven for about an hour. It started doing it in 4, then in 3 and 4. When letting off the accelerator it goes back into 2-3 It seemed to be getting worse quickly. I had the pan gasket replaced about a year ago, due to a leak. The filter and fluid were replaced at that time. I checked the fluid level at the time I was experiencing the issues (Hot) It had bubbles in it but it was clean. If anything it was too full. I will recheck it tomorrow. I don't know if cavitation of the fluid could cause this issue, yet it hadn't been doing this in the last year since the fluid was replaced; I can deduct that this is not likely the problem. No weird noises, shutters or anything I would deem unusual. I have general mechanic knowledge and this is not the first 2nd gen I've owned. however I wouldn't consider myself very extremely knowledgeable about these trucks or the 46re transmission. It has had engine code for awhile, relating to the crankshaft position sensor, and the circuit relating to the fuel regulation module. I have not scanned it recently it may have more codes. I will get the trans fluid level update and diagnostic code update tomorrow. Because my budget is so low (1500) I'm going to need to tackle this issue myself. I'm a contractor and this is currently my only work rig so I need to get this resolved ASAP. I appreciate any advice or recommendations I can get. I have attention to detail and I can learn about anything. I look forward to overcoming this obstacle with advice from this community

Thank you

Jake
98 Ram 1500 5.9L 4x4

Old 11-27-2023, 06:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,214 Likes on 2,965 Posts

Yeah, check codes first.... Also, are you checking fluid in neutral? Checking in park will give an artificially high reading.

Old 11-27-2023, 12:56 PM
Gantzer Bros

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, check codes first.... Also, are you checking fluid in neutral? Checking in park will give an artificially high reading.

Yeah I'm going to get to that very soon, I will have an update shortly. I was checking in in park I believe. Thank you

Old 11-27-2023, 03:53 PM
Gantzer Bros
Default update

Ok I've checked the fluid and had an inspection. the fluid level is still within operation range, but it is leaking from the bell housing. I also got the advice from a local trans shop. It's clear to me that I need to replace the transmission. I'm planning on buying it from this company. https://tomsrivertransmissions.com/46re-transmission. They said they need to receive the order then build it and ship it. Quoted about 1350 for the HD converter upgrade. I will be towing. this is a work rig. what do you think boss?

P.S. Apparently the engine light went off don't know why. didn't run the codes.

Old 11-27-2023, 04:12 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 310 Likes on 292 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't change the transmission until you pull the codes and see if its something simple to repair it.

Old 11-27-2023, 04:34 PM
Gantzer Bros
Default reply

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Personally, I wouldn't change the transmission until you pull the codes and see if its something simple to repair it.
yeah its not simple, it's leaking from the bell housing, could be torque converter, or pump, failing seals. I'm losing 3-4 gear straight in neutral while accelerating. Regardless I'm confident it, needs to be pulled. Taking apart the housing and what not, will prove to reveal multiple issues. Had it explained by a professional, more than likely, all the seals and rings are hard as rock and breaking to pieces by the time it's opened up. The truck has 250k mi. Quoted 3500-4000 to rebuild. My budget is 1500 for the whole repair. I'm definitely not qualified to repair the transmission. It will be enough of a feat for me to pull and replace it, and drain the fluids also properly Install on a 4x4 system. I'm still going to check the codes. the transmission won't be here for two weeks if I order now. I'm a sole proprietorship contractor and this is my only truck. Divorce is a killer. I have 5 children. My ex has the 20k $ rig. I bought this for 2k $. I'm barely hanging on financially, I need all the advice I can get, thanks for your input. I need to buy one, ishttps://tomsrivertransmissions.com/46re-transmissiona good bet ? 1350 for the upgraded torque converter 5 year warranty. I'm ready to pull the trigger regardless. Keep in mind my mechanical knowledge is limited so I may just be blowing smoke, cheers!

I'll go back out and check the codes. I don't have a reader I'm going to run to the auto parts store. I'll update shortly.

Old 11-27-2023, 04:41 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

$1350 is pretty cheap for a 46RE complete rebuild and reman'd torque converter. Be sure to get your shipping quote to your location, which I'd suspect will add to the cost. Might want to check the reviews for the transmission shop along with checking with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) for their ratings/reviews..

Old 11-27-2023, 06:20 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

As a follow-up, might want to review these items...

https://www.bbb.org/us/nj/toms-river...344/complaints

The following users liked this post:
Gantzer Bros (11-27-2023)
Old 11-27-2023, 07:09 PM
Gantzer Bros
Default Codes

Ran codes,
P1763 ENG Governor pressure sensor high MIL-code 45
-------- ENG Fuel level volts Low
P1763 MOD $D1 Governor Pressure Sensor High

Are any of these indicative of a specific transmission issue?

Engine light is still off didn't clear. I had an high idling issue that comes and goes.

Old 11-27-2023, 07:30 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

If you Google search "Dodge P1763" it looks like you will need to drop the transmission pan and likely replace the governor. Some other folks saw other issues once they dropped the transmission pan and addressed those issues to fix the problem. Other folks on this forum may have other thoughts to address this issue as well..

Quick Reply: 46RE slips out of 3 and 4 when accelerating 98 Ram 1500 5.9 4x4