2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlights quit when steering wheel tilted

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2023, 06:01 PM
MarkBall
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights quit when steering wheel tilted

Guys, maybe someone has had a similar problem.
History 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad cab 5.9 Gas engine with 209K.
  • New dash & heater core replaced last year, wiring harness in great shape with factory ends still intact.
  • Steering column (tilt/cruise) swapped with a different one due to gear shift broke loose inside the column this spring.
  • Air Bag light came on after 200 miles, bad clock spring - installed a new one this spring. That fixed the Air Bag light.
  • Multi-function switch changed thinking this was the problem fixed it for a while until weather turned cold.
Now with the weather colder (Kansas winter weather), turn headlights on they come on without problems with the steering wheel up, but when tilted down to driving position, headlights go out. Have to tilt steering wheel back up a notch so headlights will remain on. When turning the wheel or use left turn signal headlights will flash off, then come back on.
This only happens with cold temps (below 40*). If above 40* headlights remain on no matter where the steering wheel is tilted.

Could this be a bad clock spring? Did I get a bad multi-function switch? All connections use the factory connectors to the factory wiring harness, with the clips intact to lock in place. I've thought of a bad/intermittent ground, but all connections are tight.

Cannot duplicate it in a warm shop, as once the truck warms up & heat on, headlights work as they should. To me this indicates an electrical problem, but no wires are pinched/pulled during the tilting of the steering wheel.

Ideas of a fix or anyone ever hear of something like this?

Thanks,

Old 12-02-2023, 08:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Pull the covers off the steering column, the harness in there is sometimes a bit short, so moving the wheel up/down can cause the connectors to pull out, and lose contact. Also make sure the harness is routed so it isn't getting pinched somewhere as the column moves.....

Old 12-02-2023, 08:47 PM
MarkBall
Rookie

I've had the covers off several times & the wires to the clock spring & multi-function switch are not tight. There is enough slack to allow movement. Wires also have the factory plastic pieces that hold the wires in place along the column in the proper locations.
I've also unplugged the connectors, ensured the connections are clean & dry, connector locks are functional, work as designed.

I'm about ready to purchase a new clock spring & multi-function switch to see if that solves the problem.

Old 12-02-2023, 09:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Clock spring has nothing to do with headlights. Multifunction switch does though.....

The following users liked this post:
MtnTow (12-02-2023)
Old 12-03-2023, 09:37 PM
J D GA
Rookie
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Similar problem here, 2 or 3 times

My multifunction switch was at fault, more than once just this year
alone. I've isolated the problem to an individual wire in the multifunction
switch's harness, whose terminal doesn't seem to have a tang to hold it in place.
When it's plugged back in, the terminal gets pushed out of the harness without
making its connection. Eventually, I replaced just that terminal, removed the switch so
I could make the connection, then re-installed the switch with connection in tact.

Attached Thumbnails Headlights quit when steering wheel tilted-wiring-harness-for-multifunction-switch-img_20230709_210817566_hdr.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
MtnTow (12-04-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 06:40 AM
MarkBall
Rookie

The plug in shown in the picture, that's the one under the dash? I'll check that out to see if that's the problem.

Old 12-04-2023, 11:13 AM
J D GA
Rookie
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No, that's the multi-switch connector. Access it by removing the steering column cover as seen in this stock photo.

Attached Thumbnails Headlights quit when steering wheel tilted-80-large_screenshot_2021_03_03_14_44_05_0788bb9c95430f3970ee5699ee58559f61ce4dbc-1-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Headlights quit when steering wheel tilted