2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny swap issues / Torque converter & some insight.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2023, 07:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

The engine was swapped, and someone knew what they were doing. They kept the weighted flexplate with the motor, and used a neutral balance torque converter. (no weights) Which is as it should be. The torque converter on your replacement trans HAS the weight, so it also likely has the offset bolt hole, so that things would line up properly. Your 96 and up flexplate, however, will have equally spaced bolt holes, as position of the converter no longer matters.

If you want to use the torque converter that is currently on the trans, you need the 95 and older flexplate on the motor. (no weights on it.)

The following users liked this post:
MtnTow (12-04-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 10:18 PM
MtnTow
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, for whatever reason i understood that a bit better. Lol

Thank you!

Old 12-04-2023, 10:26 PM
MtnTow
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If this wasnt my service truck, i swear to god id just grind the weight off, die grind the offset hole and be done with it.

Going on month 4 of "Reasons to get and and walk trails first.... " aka a whole new driveline.

Old 12-04-2023, 10:28 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 320 Likes on 302 Posts

The good part about a Dodge truck is that once the maintenance has been performed properly, you can typically enjoy numerous miles of trouble-free driving.

Quick Reply: Tranny swap issues / Torque converter & some insight.