2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake Problem Puzzling Me...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 08:45 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 575 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by tobnpr
Thanks for the replies, sorry for the delay posting back- moving this past weekend.
Truck is a 2000, 2500 extended cab, 8' bed with the 5.9 gasser. Florida truck from the factory- and I bought it here back in 2004. It's been a solid hauler for me, zero rust of any significance other than some surface inside the bed since I pulled out the bedliner but haven't had the time to do the Raptor Liner. Nearly 300k, still runs great but obviously burns a couple quarts a month- so not bad. I plan on running it till the proverbial wheels fall off since 8' beds are impossible to come by and I'm the guy that owns a truck because he uses it like a truck. Brake lines all appear to be in good condition despite the age (I had to lift the bed to replace the fuel tank sender a couple of years ago and all looked fine).

Would Advance or AZ have the scanner to read the ABS codes? Or should I replace the master cylinder. Booster and master were replaced just a few years ago. Booster is good, if I pump the pedal three times to get it up and firm (did I really say that) then start the engine it drops as I understand it should. I can keep pressure on it when "up" indefinitely and pedal doesn't drop. If I let off and idle forward a few seconds, gotta pump it a couple of times again.

Replace the master cylinder?
I don't know if Advance or AutoZone can read the codes as some have the deluxe readers and some use the cheapies. Where did you get the master cylinder when you replaced it before. If you got a life time warranty, I'd swap it under warranty. It's sounding more and more like a failing master. I can think of some other things, but they are rare. Keep in mid, long before there were trouble codes, brake lights on the dash would light up if there was something wrong.

Old 02-06-2024, 07:11 PM
tobnpr
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do most of the wrenching myself when I can, but I had a local (well, local before I just moved an hour away) shop do the booster and MC replacement. Couldn't find the receipt, so I called him and he looked it up, it's been 3-1/2 years. He told me I could bring it in and they'd do a "partial" diagnostic scan for $35 or $40 to isolate the issue and cut me a break if it is indeed the mc. He told me it could very well be the ABS module (I was under the impression they rarely fail, but I'm probably wrong) I'll keep that in my back pocket for now and call around to the local stores to see if any have the ABS scan capability. If it IS the ABS module, I'm assuming that would be time to be scouring the boneyards.

Old 02-06-2024, 09:10 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 303 Likes on 286 Posts
Lightbulb

If it IS the ABS module, I'm assuming that would be time to be scouring the boneyards.
Pretty much. That's what I did to pickup a couple of spares from my local pick and pay while they were still readily available. Luckily, the same ABS unit comes on several different Dodge vehicles of that era.

Old 02-07-2024, 04:26 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 349 Likes on 329 Posts

Depending on the year of your truck there where two and four wheel abs. Not sure if a two wheel abs would do this if you only had rear abs.

Old 02-07-2024, 10:45 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 575 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
Depending on the year of your truck there where two and four wheel abs. Not sure if a two wheel abs would do this if you only had rear abs.

My '97 Dakota has RWAL instead of 4 wheel ABS. I've had problems with the ABS light coming on because the wire kept coming off the sensor on the rear end. About 3 feet of baling wire cured that.

Old 02-07-2024, 05:04 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 123 Likes on 111 Posts

Sounds like master cylinder (soon to be renamed like master bedroom).

Unbolt it and slide forward. Is it wet in there?

I'd be truly astonished if any FLAPS has a scanner capable of pulling 2nd Gen ABS codes. You need a high end scanner because.....no good reason.

Old 02-07-2024, 06:05 PM
tobnpr
Rookie

Originally Posted by Keith_L
Sounds like master cylinder (soon to be renamed like master bedroom).

Unbolt it and slide forward. Is it wet in there?

I'd be truly astonished if any FLAPS has a scanner capable of pulling 2nd Gen ABS codes. You need a high end scanner because.....no good reason.
Just pulled up the service manual to look at the mc and booster but haven't gotten through it yet- you're saying that connection should normally be "dry", if it is- does that rule out the master?
Looking at R&R of the master, seems pretty simple except for making bleed tubes from the cylinder to the reservoir from brake line...I'm missing something. After the cylinder is bled, and you need to remove the bleeder tubes- isn't that going to let air back in?

Old 02-07-2024, 06:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,190 Likes on 2,943 Posts

You can unbolt the master from the booster, without removing the lines, and see if there is leakage back there. If there isn't any, that just means in ain't leakin' out the back. Says nothing about the seals inside.....

Old 02-07-2024, 07:47 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 303 Likes on 286 Posts
Looking at R&R of the master, seems pretty simple except for making bleed tubes from the cylinder to the reservoir from brake line...I'm missing something. After the cylinder is bled, and you need to remove the bleeder tubes- isn't that going to let air back in?
The bleed tubes are used for bleeding a master cylinder itself once the reservoir is filled with brake fluid. If you aren't removing the brake lines at the master cylinder, no need to perform this operation. It's normally done for a new master cylinder that's delivered out of the box dry. As long as there is fluid in the reservoir after using the bleeder tubes to do the bleeding of the master cylinder, you can disconnect the bleeder tubes and connect the truck's master cylinder lines without affecting the newly bled master cylinder.

Old 02-08-2024, 11:14 AM
tobnpr
Rookie

Why not just bolt on and fill the master, attach the brake lines loosely, and crack/tighten the nuts and bleed in place rather than bench-bleeding (with a pad underneath to catch the mess)?
I plan on bleeding all the lines until I get new fluid through them as the existing is dark and needs to be replaced anyway.

Quick Reply: Brake Problem Puzzling Me...