2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 Dodge Ram 1500 (5.2) clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2024, 03:37 PM
jakefarmer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Dodge Ram 1500 (5.2) clutch issue

Hey, folks.
Just looking for some advice on a clutch issue. When I’m driving the clutch feels alright. No real issues coming into or going out of gear. When I stop it’s almost like I have to “reset” the clutch. If you leave your foot on the clutch and try to shift back into first or reverse it doesn’t want to go in. If you come off the clutch and go back in it’s fine. I’ve put two slave cylinders in it, but I still think the hydraulic system is the issue.
When I push the slave cylinder by hand the fluid moves in the reservoir, but when pushing the pedal in the fluid in the reservoir never changes. The pedal feels like it needs to go in further. It feels like the slave cylinder doesn’t go out far enough. Any ideas?

For reference the transmission was just rebuilt, a new flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, and hydraulic system were all put in. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
J. Farmer

Old 02-25-2024, 04:56 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

Sounds like there might be some air in the system.
Bleed it again.

Old 02-25-2024, 06:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Is the clutch slowly releasing when you are still holding the pedal down? (very easy to test, push in the clutch, put the trans in 1st, and wait......)

Old 02-25-2024, 06:17 PM
jakefarmer

Originally Posted by Spillage
Sounds like there might be some air in the system.
Bleed it again.

That was my first thought as well because I can push the rod in from the slave cylinder with my thumb, but I’ve tried bleeding it about 5 times now, but I’ll try again to see if there is any difference. Thank you.

Old 02-25-2024, 06:22 PM
jakefarmer

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Is the clutch slowly releasing when you are still holding the pedal down? (very easy to test, push in the clutch, put the trans in 1st, and wait......)

It is not. I put it in first and waited about 15 minutes and it acted like normal. Just sat at idle

Old 02-25-2024, 06:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by jakefarmer
It is not. I put it in first and waited about 15 minutes and it acted like normal. Just sat at idle
Ok, that's good. It's not bleeding down at least.

Bleeding all the air out of those systems is a major ordeal though..... I generally just replace it as an assembly..... I thought that was the only way they were sold these days.....

Old 02-25-2024, 06:42 PM
jakefarmer

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Ok, that's good. It's not bleeding down at least.

Bleeding all the air out of those systems is a major ordeal though..... I generally just replace it as an assembly..... I thought that was the only way they were sold these days.....

I agree and that’s why I think it’s acting so weird. I did buy it as an assembly (“pre-bled”) but to me it still seems like there is air in it. I took the assembly I bought off and replaced it because I thought it was defective. It seemed better this time, but still not right. I was thinking maybe there is air in the master cylinder because like I mentioned if you push the rod in on the slave cylinder the fluid in the reservoir moves, but not when you hit the clutch. I’m going to try and attach a video of me pushing in the slave cylinder. This is how it’s been with both assemblies.

Last edited by jakefarmer; 02-25-2024 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-25-2024, 11:14 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

The last two pre-bled assemblies I’ve installed both needed a bleed to get them feeling/working right.

Old 02-26-2024, 08:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

When you compress the slave, you are forcing fluid back up the line, so, level in reservoir rises. When you push in on the pedal, you are pushing fluid that is already in the master cylinder piston down to the slave, so, reservoir level won't change much, if at all. That's normal.

Old 02-26-2024, 10:08 AM
jakefarmer

Originally Posted by Spillage
The last two pre-bled assemblies I’ve installed both needed a bleed to get them feeling/working right.

Thats what I was thinking too, but it’s just not getting tight. It honestly feels worse tbh.

Quick Reply: 98 Dodge Ram 1500 (5.2) clutch issue