2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Best shocks for the money? Balance between price and performance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 12:03 AM
Courage
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks again guys! I'm just trying to get my steering and braking all sorted on this truck. When I bought it, it was a little loose, but it didn't really wander. It kinda reminded me of my sister's low ish mile ZJ Grand Cherokee. In the last 13k miles though, it's gotten a lot worse.

Old 05-30-2024, 05:42 PM
Courage
Amateur

I took my steering stabilizer off, and it is toast. One direction has zero resistance. Any preferred brands or brands to stay away from?
I checked out the sticky about shocks. It seems that most of you all are running Monroe. RockAuto doesn't have 2 fronts and 2 rear monroe shocks in stock atm. I've heard good things about KYB shocks. I'm tempted to go with their Excel G Shocks in the rear, and their Gas-a-just in the front, since I think the front is more important for ride quality. Does that seem logical?
Thanks in advance!
Courage

Old 05-30-2024, 08:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,256 Likes on 3,003 Posts

I know the steering stabilizer on my truck hasn't been doin' squat roughly since I bought it...... It was replaced in a recent bout of front end work, and I think I liked the way it drove with the dead one better..... Try running without for a while, see what ya think. (you may not notice a difference. )

Bilsteins are good to.

Old 05-31-2024, 01:09 AM
Courage
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I know the steering stabilizer on my truck hasn't been doin' squat roughly since I bought it...... It was replaced in a recent bout of front end work, and I think I liked the way it drove with the dead one better..... Try running without for a while, see what ya think. (you may not notice a difference. )

Bilsteins are good to.
Thanks for the info. I'll try taking it off.
I'd love to go with Bilsteins, but $350 seems like a lot to spend on shocks. Idk, maybe i should. I was hoping to keep it around $150.

Old 05-31-2024, 08:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,256 Likes on 3,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Courage
Thanks for the info. I'll try taking it off.
I'd love to go with Bilsteins, but $350 seems like a lot to spend on shocks. Idk, maybe i should. I was hoping to keep it around $150.
Yeah, they ain't cheap, but, folks that installed them, loved 'em.

The following users liked this post:
Courage (06-05-2024)

Quick Reply: Best shocks for the money? Balance between price and performance?