2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hardlines on transmission crossmember

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2024, 03:35 PM
Imamekanik89
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardlines on transmission crossmember

Hello all,

I have a 2001 ram 2500 with a NV5600. I just replaced the clutch on my truck and now going back together with it. During removal, my uncle who was helping me, removed 2 hardlines that mount to the front of the transmission crossmember/support. Are these vacuum lines? There is a red tipped and black tipped tube that connect to those hardlines but he doesn't remember which color connects to which tube. Does anyone have a schematic or picture of how they connect. Thanks in advance!

Old 05-24-2024, 04:28 PM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

Yeah, they are vacuum lines for the front axle CAD. Check posts #4 and #5 on this thread: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-into-2wd.html

Last edited by HeikIlm; 05-24-2024 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-24-2024, 05:43 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 317 Likes on 299 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Imamekanik89
Hello all,

I have a 2001 ram 2500 with a NV5600. I just replaced the clutch on my truck and now going back together with it. During removal, my uncle who was helping me, removed 2 hardlines that mount to the front of the transmission crossmember/support. Are these vacuum lines? There is a red tipped and black tipped tube that connect to those hardlines but he doesn't remember which color connects to which tube. Does anyone have a schematic or picture of how they connect. Thanks in advance!
Those lines also tie into the transfer case. You should be able to find a schematic in the factory service manual. You can download the manual for your year truck via this link - https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-manuals.html

Old 05-25-2024, 09:28 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 125 Likes on 113 Posts

Definitely blow through them with compressed air (just the hardline part) and make sure output at the other end seems proportionate.

Tiny bits of gravel can get in there MUCH more easily than you think. I fixed no CAD engagement once by blowing them out. I thought one seemed restricted, but then convinced myself it was probably fine. At the last second I heard a "pop" and it blew out something. Flow was much improved and CAD engagement was restored.

By the same token, if the lines are crushed.....

Old 05-25-2024, 10:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,257 Likes on 3,004 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith_L
Definitely blow through them with compressed air (just the hardline part) and make sure output at the other end seems proportionate.

Tiny bits of gravel can get in there MUCH more easily than you think. I fixed no CAD engagement once by blowing them out. I thought one seemed restricted, but then convinced myself it was probably fine. At the last second I heard a "pop" and it blew out something. Flow was much improved and CAD engagement was restored.

By the same token, if the lines are crushed.....
Yeah, mine accumulated some water, which then froze.... No 4wd..... Put in the garage with a heater for a while, blew 'em out with air, all good.

The following users liked this post:
Keith_L (05-25-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 11:51 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 125 Likes on 113 Posts

Also to the OP: at the risk of stating the obvious, vacuum is vacuum. If the hardline(s) are mangled beyond repair, you can run standard vac hose or whatever. Just anchor well and route carefully. The hardlines are cleaner and more elegant but that's it.

Old 05-26-2024, 08:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,257 Likes on 3,004 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith_L
Also to the OP: at the risk of stating the obvious, vacuum is vacuum. If the hardline(s) are mangled beyond repair, you can run standard vac hose or whatever. Just anchor well and route carefully. The hardlines are cleaner and more elegant but that's it.
Could even get a couple appropriate lengths of brake line, and bend them to suit.

The following users liked this post:
Keith_L (05-26-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 08:20 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 361 Likes on 339 Posts

Could even get a couple appropriate lengths of brake line, and bend them to suit.
That's what i did, One of my lines allowed water in and rusted up solid.

Quick Reply: Hardlines on transmission crossmember