2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

starting !

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 05:17 PM
rogerdoger
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting !

ok, so just before xmas i started my truck in the moring no problem, but after driving about 25kms to the store. I turned off the truck, came back about 20 minutes and it had a hard time starting. it would crank, crank crank crank crank and then start.

drove some more, stoppped for a while tried starting it, and same think.. crank... .... ... start (but kinda ruff)

so next day, in the morning she started fine, but later did the same thing. So it seems as if she only does it when it is warm.

I had left my truck for a bout a week over xmas, never started it once, but did have the block heater pluged in. temp was getting down to -15c went to start it but it was dead. interior lights were bright, but not even a click

so i threw the bat on the charge for 1 day, and then she strted fine, but once again, after she was warm crank crank crank crank, ruff start.

left it for a another week, (not started) pluged in, got back home, and this time she started fine. (battery was ok) Drove truck on a 2 hour trip, stopped for gas, and same starting problem again.

the battery is 3 years old, should i buy a new one, or is it a bigger problem? like the alt, or the starter

Old 01-09-2006, 05:28 PM
Racinfan83
All Star
Default RE: starting !

Wow! It's hard to diagnose something that acts up differently like that. I'd start by going to Auto Zone or a similar auto parts store and have them check the battery and alternator system. ( they do it for free ) My guess would be that the battery has a buildup of crap in the bottom of it, and it is shorting out internally. But that doesn't explain the crank, crank, crank, run rough syndrome. That could be a bad coil that is breaking down when it heats up.....so, have someone check these out first...

Old 01-09-2006, 05:41 PM
rogerdoger
Professional

well it doesnt run ruf, in fact it runs great except for the fact of the faint ping, (read my other post)
but just as it finaly starts it sputters a bit( as if it is mustering up everything it has to finlly start.

Then she runs fine.

Old 01-09-2006, 07:28 PM
1996ramkid
Professional

do you give it any gas when you are starting it because i had this problem about 5 times in the summer and it would just crank and i gave it gas and it started right up and would run rough until i reved it to clear it out then it would be fine.

Old 01-09-2006, 08:53 PM
rogerdoger
Professional

ya I give it gas, but doesnt seem to help. went to the dealership today, and let them have a listen. they said it could be fuel pump, or some sensor.
I guess I will book it in

Old 01-10-2006, 01:29 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Whens the last time you took off the TB and cleaned it and all the parts, sepcificially the IAC?

Old 01-10-2006, 01:31 AM
rogerdoger
Professional

i never have, i suppose the last time it was off was back in august, (the last rebuild by the dealership.

Old 01-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

If it has never been cleaned, that might be part of the problem. It isn't hard to remove the TB, (go to www.thefastman.com there's directions on there) Take it off and remove the 3 sensors from it. The Idle Air Controller is the back one. It has a plunger that you can clean with cleaner on a rag. The TB itself can be spray cleaned with carb cleaner. Make sure to get inside the IAC hole. Dealer carges $99 to clean the TB and I'm not even sure they remove it, so it's better to do it yourself....

Quick Reply: starting !