2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Ram Trouble Code Check?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 05:20 PM
krajesj52
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Ram Trouble Code Check?

Hello,
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. I'm trying to call up the trouble codes on the odometer. The service manual says it comes up "00 00" if there are no codes stored after the dashboard lamp/gauge test. If there are codes stored, it will give them to you in the odometer window. I get nothing displayed after the gauge test.
The dealer's answer is anything from "Why do you want to know that?", to "Are you a mechanic?" to "You can't do that without a DRB scan tool." to "We have to charge you $75.00 an hour and there is no printout to give you anyway".
The manual says it can be done. I can't do it. The dealers here don't care. Can anyone help?
Thanks,
Steve

Old 01-09-2006, 06:28 PM
krajesj52
Rookie
Default RE: 2001 Ram Trouble Code Check?

Just an additional note...
I tried to apply another postings solution to a different model of truck I set the odometer to total miles, turned the key off, then turned the key on-off-on-off-on. The digital readout now immediately said "P done". What does that mean?
I tried same test with odometer set to trip odometer. Same result appeared immediately, "P done".
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Steve

Old 01-10-2006, 10:51 PM
jrmcx
Rookie

It means there are no currently stored engine FUBAR codes.

Old 01-12-2006, 07:35 AM
ship
Amateur

go to auto zone usually you can get your stored codes, or any history there mnight be using generic obd2 data, and they will usually do it for free with a snap on brick scanner or maybe a modus if they have the money....
you can check them using the key on off on off procedure you did though, but a scanner, not even the 75 an hour chrysler scanner will be able to read streaming data from your truck and test actuators even depends. pull some history and generally look everything over, sometimes the generic scanners actually pull more information.

Old 01-17-2006, 03:31 PM
krajesj52
Rookie

Re: 2001 Ram 1500 Code Check:
Maybe I'm off base here, but I took some time this weekend to research this thing. I sat in the truck with some pages I copied from my new CD service manual about the dashboard system (Yea, dashboard and not emissions). Here's what I found, best that I can recall from yesterday.
First do the dash lamp/gauge test. With the key off, hold down the odometer reset switch, then turn the key on. Keep holding down the switch for a few seconds until the word CHEC appears in the odometer window. Release the reset switch. The system goes through a dash lamp test, then a gauge test. If there are no codes in the computer, the odometer will say P DONE at the end of the gauge test. If there are codes in, the check engine lamp stays lit and the odometer goes back to the numerals. To find out what codes are "set", do the key test.
With the ignition key initially off, do the on-off-on-off-on routine with the key within 5 seconds. If no codes are in, the display says P DONE right away. If codes are in, it will display the code(s), then a row of dashed lines, then P DONE at the end of the test.
I wasn't getting any codes. That meant either I wasn't having any problems, or the system was malfunctioning. Since I had no previous history to fall back on (just purchased the truck) I decided to try a forced code test. Under the hood I found an easy to reach connector for the evaporative canister purge valve. I disconnected it, started to engine to set the code, turned off the engine and started the test again. During the on-off key test, the code came up for the canister valve as predicted, and the check engine lamp is now lit, as predicted.
It appears that this is the way to test this model year. Maybe I'm wrong 'cause the dealers said it couldn't be done. But it seems to work.
Your comments are appreciated.

Old 01-17-2006, 05:34 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

The key thing works, the dealer just wants your money. Maybe you have a little bit diffrent PCM though so when theres no codes it just doesn't show anything.

Old 01-17-2006, 09:24 PM
Espen

I've have also tried to read the codes using the key, with no luck. The check gauge test works perfectly. Have tried to turn key on off on from one to ten times. I also has a www.auterraweb.com scanner and with that i could read the codes.

Old 01-18-2006, 12:09 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

duz this code test only work on the 01's or will it work on all the 2 or 2.5 gen dodges?

Quick Reply: 2001 Ram Trouble Code Check?