2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

94 ram won't start after crank position sensor change

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM
JackAbe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 ram won't start after crank position sensor change

Hello, I recently have been working on a 94 dodge 1500 with the 5.9 in it that had pretty much every sensor changed except the one in the title. The truck still ran but once it got up to temp it would die until it cooled down again. It never over heated just dies when it got up to normal operating temp. I diagnosed it as a crank position sensor and have replaced it but now thay everything is plugged in the truck just cranks over and over again but won't start. I've also done the thermostat on it and now I'm just kind of at a loss for my it won't start. Maybe I just got a bad sensor? Or anything else I should know about? I have the weird year woth the plastic bracket and Allen head bolts and the new one seems to go down the hole farther?

Last edited by JackAbe; Yesterday at 02:54 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM
aleekat
Veteran
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Dodges hate after market sensors.

The following users liked this post:
AtomicDog (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 322 Likes on 304 Posts

The crank sensor should be a Mopar sensor. Unfortunately, the aftermarket crank sensors tend to be hit or miss..

Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM
JackAbe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
The crank sensor should be a Mopar sensor. Unfortunately, the aftermarket crank sensors tend to be hit or miss..
Interesting, so would you recommend getting another brand? Or just getting the actual Mopar sensor? My year is the weird one with the plastic bracket and the Allen heads and I just couldnt find that one online.

Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 322 Likes on 304 Posts

I'd go for a Mopar sensor. Contact the dealer to determine if the original part number has been superseded by a newer number.

I used a Borg-Warner crank sensor in my truck several years ago. It lasted about 3 years. When it failed, the truck would randomly cut off. I'd rest the computer and it would restart. Finally, it produced a code that pointed to a bad crank sensor. Replaced it with a Mopar crank sensor as recommended by folks on this site and no more issues to-date.

Quick Reply: 94 ram won't start after crank position sensor change