2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear leaf spring blockhelp

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM
1SaltyGreenBean
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear leaf spring blockhelp

Help again please? On my 01 1500 the axle spacer which on mine includes the tab for the rubber hard stop or " Jounce" I think it's called. I need to know how that assembly is fastened together. Like are the spring packs bolted together alone or does a bolt go all the way through the spacer and springs. Took the u bolts off and tried jacking up on the leaf spring and axle was coming up also. Is the other side preventing it to separate? OK, I know I'm messing up here but was trying to add a shim to help out the lean. That's when I saw how bad the leaf spring was wore the flock out. There's no doubt I need to change both leaf springs out, but I will need help with that. But for now you think I could install a 1'' or 1 1/2 spacer above the original spacer? Any suggestions on new leaf spring sets would be greatly appreciated. I hope the pics come out. I drew arrows where I am attempting to separate it at. If I can get a pic of the spring, I'll send it. I think yall would get a kick out it. Thank you very much for any help!!

Old Yesterday, 10:42 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

The pin or tab that bolts the leaf pack together has a cone head the sits in the corresponding hole in the block, same for the block to the axle perch. Very likely rusted together but a few blows from a hammer should separate them easily.

Now would be a good time to decide if you want to do a lift or anything. Some lift kits will come with an entirely new spring pack. Usually the extreme lifts but I'm sure there's options. Otherwise I would try like etrailer, or rock auto. Should be some good options, or check out local shops might make you a custom pack for what you like/do

EDIT: didnt realize it was 2x4 when I typed the above

I would look into the cuase of the lean, make sure it isnt a broken leaf spring or shackle. Frame looks pretty clean so rusted out parts seems unlikely.

Quick Reply: Rear leaf spring blockhelp