2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need a new antenna, help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2024, 09:55 PM
4stgs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a new antenna, help!

So, I’ve tried 2 different Amazon short antennas to replace my ailing 99 Ram factory unit, and I’m about to give up. Both stated they would work on a second gen. Nope. Are there any aftermarket short units that are a direct fit? I’ll probably head to LKQ and pick up a factory unit this week, I’m not sure why these manufacturers can’t get it right.

Old 08-12-2024, 06:16 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 374 Likes on 352 Posts

Are you replacing the whip or the whole antenna? Might want to look up some of the old threads on this.

Old 08-12-2024, 11:33 AM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

I have ran into two different styles, there the black antenna with the plastic sleeve that covers the base, and the bare aluminum style with the coil wrapped around it. If I recall they each had a different thread design

Old 08-12-2024, 02:13 PM
4stgs

Im just replacing the whip. None of the aftermarket have the same thread / stud as the factory. I’ve read that the stud in the base of the factory antenna should just unscrew so I can put one of the supplied ones from the antennas I’ve bought can be used. It’s really stuck, I’m going to try to remove today with PB and muscle.

Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM
4stgs

Well, I snapped the stud off… I guess it was a little too corroded / tight / bent, who knows. Getting a junkyard replacement tomorrow.

Old Today, 09:04 AM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

might have the same result with a junkyard unit, wouldn't hurt to check out a new one

Quick Reply: Need a new antenna, help!