2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just looking for some advice

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM
bmplumb
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just looking for some advice

OK so i have a 1997 1500 4x4 basically the average setup. 3.55 gear ratio 5.2L 285/75/r16, AFE cai, JBAheaders, flowmaster exuast basic stuff....... I've done alot of reading and wondering is it even worth it to try to build this motor up or just sink the money into an xj....i plan on giving this truck to my son in a few years and he has helped with most the maintainince.....it runs well I just think theres a lot more potential but not without investing 1000$ of dollars. Regearing axles, new cam and heads and intake manifold would cost more than what the truck is worth. Not planning on ever getting rid of it but honestly id probably be better suited to invest it into either xj or cummins 12v........ any opinions or thoughts would be nice.

Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 130 Likes on 117 Posts

I think you're right. But then again I've never understood the XJ craze, either.

It's your money, do what makes you happy. I think chasing anything more than very modest gains from the Magnum motors is a poor investment.

Now we all know CTD gains can be substantial . A Cummins in good condition is rarely a bad investment!

Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM
bmplumb
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol my fascination with the xj would be its one of the first 4wd vehicles i ever owned... as for the truck i just dont see that investing that kind of money into the magnum 5.2 is worth it....... although I'm open to any ideas that would make it more reliable....its already pushed 200k+.... Not really a Ford or GM guy

Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,354 Likes on 3,096 Posts

Just maintenance the crap out of it. If you don't know if he hasn't been done recently, assume it hasn't, and do it now. Also, one of THE best 'performance' improvements I got on my old 96, was the timing chain and gears. The old morse-style chains really stretch, and you lose a fair bit of power that way. The new one really woke the motor up.

Stick with standard copper plugs. These trucks don't like the rare earth fellers.

Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 384 Likes on 361 Posts

A Cummins in good condition is rarely a bad investment!
And the people who have them think they have gold, And the price reflects it!

Quick Reply: Just looking for some advice