2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'99 1500 Always cranks. Random no start.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2024 | 11:35 AM
JKnauer386
|
Default '99 1500 Always cranks. Random no start.

Truck will crank and randomly not start. I can do nothing and an hour later (or the next day) it will fire up and run like nothing is wrong with it and will continue to start and run for 2-3 days, then it's back to crank and no start. So far we have replaced the ASD Relay, the Cam Position Sensor (as well as the Cap and Rotor while we were there), the Crank Position Sensor and completely removed the MOPAR Alarm system. The truck was started and driven after each change was made but its always back to random no starts. As it is, the truck is not reliable enough to drive for fear of not getting home. Has anyone ever had this issue? Could this be a PCM issue?

Old 09-27-2024 | 11:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Could be PCM....... When it won't start, need to know what is happening. Does the fuel pump prime? Does it run continuously while cranking? Are you getting spark? Are there any codes???

Old 09-27-2024 | 01:41 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

This issue happened to me a while ago. My truck would die randomly and wouldn't restart. Discovered that I could disconnect the battery, touch the negative & positive leads, then re-install the battery cables to the battery and the truck would restart and run OK. One day the truck died while driving down the road. Luckily, I had my scanner with me when it happened. It came up with a code regarding an intermittent crank sensor. Replaced the crank sensor with a Mopar crank sensor and all has been well since.

Old 10-04-2024 | 02:11 PM
JKnauer386
|

So, knock on wood, trucks been fine for the last week.... When it wont start, fuel pressure is 50 PSI (used a direct read gauge) and NO spark from the coil (used a spark tester). The engine doesn't even act like it wants to start, no random cylinder firing or popping. No codes at all using a scan tool. If it acts up again, I'm going to try pulling the battery leads and shorting them as suggested by AtomicDog to see if that will work. At this point my next option will be to replace the PCM and if that doesn't work the only other thing I can think of would be to start replacing the wires associated with the ignition circuit. Maybe there is a wire with broken conductors inside the sheath or a corroded connector I havent found. It is so random that it is maddening to diagnose. I can go out and it won't start. Walk away and come back 3 hours later and it fires up and runs great. Drive around the block and it won't start for 3 days. Now, its been a week and not a single issue, starts every time.

Old 10-04-2024 | 02:20 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

My issue ended up being a faulty crank sensor. When you replaced your crank sensor, did you install a high quality crank sensor, such as a Mopar or Delphi crank sensor? I had a BWD crank sensor in mine and found out that it had started to get flaky after a couple of years, as the PCM seems to rely on having a good quality crank sensor installed to work properly.

Old 10-04-2024 | 10:10 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
My issue ended up being a faulty crank sensor. When you replaced your crank sensor, did you install a high quality crank sensor, such as a Mopar or Delphi crank sensor? I had a BWD crank sensor in mine and found out that it had started to get flaky after a couple of years, as the PCM seems to rely on having a good quality crank sensor installed to work properly.
Eric O says BWD is Broke When Delivered

Old 10-05-2024 | 06:47 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion

I say it also! BWD=JUNK! If you can hook it up to a high end scanner it will show you if you are getting signals from both crank and cam sensors. If you do and still not starting could be the coil. There is a resistance test in the service manual you could check to see if it's with in spec.

Quick Reply: '99 1500 Always cranks. Random no start.