2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacing flasher relay led to a another problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2024 | 07:38 PM
ameech
|
Default Replacing flasher relay led to another problem

I’ve got 2000 1500 Laramie with the 5.9. I had an issue where the driver side blinkers were blinking fast and read that replacing the flasher relay would fix it. I replaced the relay today and while it fixed the hyper flashing issue I’ve noticed if I turn the headlights/parking lights on both blinker icons will light up on the dash. If I flip the blinker either way they both work just fine.

May also be worth noting the parking lights don’t work at all now. Before I swapped the relay the passenger side would work but driver side wouldn’t and the blinkers were hyper speed on the driver side.

I can also hear clicking in intervals of three (when driver side blinker or flashers are engaged)from the cylinder type thing under the battery. Anybody know what that is? All advice is appreciated

Last edited by ameech; 10-17-2024 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-17-2024 | 08:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

You have a bad bulb or two. I would be looking at the bulbs on the side that were doing the hyper flash first.

The following users liked this post:
ameech (10-17-2024)
Old 10-17-2024 | 08:17 PM
ameech
|

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You have a bad bulb or two. I would be looking at the bulbs on the side that were doing the hyper flash first.
that’s what I was hoping didn’t know if anybody had other ideas. I’ll swap em out with new ones after work and let y’all know

Old Yesterday | 06:17 PM
ameech
|

Originally Posted by HeyYou
are you pretty positive that’s what it is? I replaced both of the amber flasher lights on either side and it’s still doing it. Would it have something to do with that cylinder thing that’s clicking under the battery?

ill try swapping more bulbs tomorrow/Monday I’m pretty busy at the moment. I just find it odd that it happened after the relay was swapped

Last edited by ameech; Yesterday at 06:30 PM.
Old Yesterday | 07:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Only thing under the battery I am aware of, is the cruise servo..... and it shouldn't be clicking just sittin' there..

Need to check the bulbs in the rear as well.

Old Today | 12:57 AM
DerTruck
All Star

Sounds more like a wiring issue, likely bad ground connection. Pull the flasher relay (is this the correct "combination flasher" ?) and try to figure out the parking lights issue. Black/yellow should have power with the lights on, black is ground .

Edit: The speed control servo uses the same ground as the parking lights/turn signals so there might be some back feeding going on. Check ground G100 which is somewhere upfront on the left side fender shield.

Last edited by DerTruck; Today at 01:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Replacing flasher relay led to a another problem