2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need help wiring brake controler

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 08:10 PM
MiaTurbo
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help wiring brake controler

Hello folks. My 99 Sport came with the tow package, but the P/O never installed a brake controler. The harness/adapeter was in the glove box, but I don't know which wire is which. Off of the connector, there isa black wire, white with orange stripe, light blue, and red w/black stripe.

The controler's wiring is: black:12+, Red: brake switch, white: 12-; and blue: trailer connection.

It would be too easy to assume that the colors match up. I appreciate your help. I'm picking up a trailer for the track car this weekend, so I need to make sure it's in order before I head up.

Old 01-12-2006, 12:11 PM
ASH
Veteran
Default RE: need help wiring brake controler

Match the colors, it is that easy. If you are not sure, use a test light to double check. Attached is a link to check the plug.
http://dodgeram.org/tech/mods/electric/trailer_wire.htm

Old 01-12-2006, 12:33 PM
CODODGE1500

It depends on the brake controller! Some dont match colors. My Protogy brake controller did not match the colors. the best thing is to look at the directions

Gabe

Old 01-12-2006, 01:29 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

get used to using a DMM... digital multimeter!

Old 01-12-2006, 05:33 PM
ASH
Veteran

ORIGINAL: CODODGE1500

It depends on the brake controller! Some dont match colors. My Protogy brake controller did not match the colors. the best thing is to look at the directions

Gabe
[sm=bustedsign.gif] Oops. I thought they would be standardized. However, from what you wrote in your original post, I think that it is correct to match the colors. Black provides power to the controller, white is ground, red goes to the brake switch, and blue goes to the trailer, giving the power to brakes. If you are not sure, bug the wires together using electrical tape and check the plug at the rear of the truck using the link I gave earlier. If you are correct, then permanently connect the wires.

Old 01-13-2006, 04:16 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes it should be black to black white w/orange stripe to white blue to blue and red w/black to red but you'll wanna check for shure

Quick Reply: need help wiring brake controler