2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Torque Wrench

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 06:13 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Torque Wrench

I used to only have a Craftsman 1/2 drive that goes to something like 250 ft/lbs, but then I added a Craftsman that does inch/lbs as well.

I actually have some follow on questions about torque wrenches and their us:

Which is better, a dial indicator type, or the click type. I have read that the click types are the worst to have for accuracy.

Also, in situations where you can get a wrench on either, is there a difference in taking your torque reading off of the nut, or the bolt or does it not matter?

Lastly, is a torque wrench still acurate if you have long extensions on it? I have had to torque bolts that I could only reach using a 4" and 8" extension hooked together, and then a deep socket on the end. This always feels like it makes tightening more difficult due to the instability of the long reach. Is this affecting the torque reading too?

Thanks.

Old 01-16-2006, 07:47 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When you have extensions on a torque wrench,
they add the 'springy' twist you describe.

The fancy engineer's word for 'springy' is 'elastic deformation'.

If you keep applying force to the wrench with the extensions until the handle comes to a stop,
then the torque value you read is accurate.

But if you read the torque value while the wrench handle is still moving you will read low.

Click, dial, or digital readout torque wrenches are all ok as long as you check the calibration.

If you live anywhere new Oak Ridge National Laboratory outside Knoxville TN,
go there on 'Visitors Day' and get your torque wrench checked free at the instrument laboratory.

I would guess Los Alamos, Scandia, Livermore, and Battelle labs have similar visitor days.

Otherwise you can send your torque wrench to companies like SnapOn and Mac and they will calibrate them for a fee. Sometimes the SnapOn or Mac tool vans carry torque calibrators.

Or get the correct 8 point socket that will go over 3/8ths, half inch or 3/4 square drives and test a new torque wrench at Sears or Home Depot against your old one.

Old 01-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Koldkut
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: HankL

Kolkut you do not understand what torque is,
if you think putting the scale at 4 foot and pulling it to 25 lbs is the same as pulling 25 lb at one foot.

At four feet it is 100 ft-lbs. (25 x 4)
At one foot it is 25 ft-lbss. (25 x 1)

The first time I used a fish scale to torque a nut
it was with a 10 foot extension to put 500 ft-lbs on the flange bolts of a 20 inch by 20 inch centrifugal pump driven by a 1200 horsepower electric motor.
I don't quite think you undertand what a fish scale is for. that torque wrench is going to click at the same point everytime on a particular setting, wether your 1 foot from the bolt of 4 foot from the bolt. the pressure you have to apply to make it click is much less at the 4 foot point.

Quick Reply: Torque Wrench